CMV Infection in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: Prevention and Treatment Strategies
JournalCurrent Treatment Options in Infectious Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose of review: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) remains a major cause of morbidity and mortality after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (Allo-HSCT). New strategies and methods for prevention and management of CMV infection are urgently needed. We aim to review the new developments in diagnostics, prevention, and management strategies of CMV infection in Allo-HSCT recipients. Recent findings: The approval of the novel anti-CMV drug letermovir in 2017 has led to an increase in the use of antiviral prophylaxis as a preferred approach for prevention in many centers. Real-world studies have shown efficacy similar to the clinical trial. CMV-specific T cell-mediated immunity assays identify patients with immune reconstitution and predict disease progression. Phase 2 trials of maribavir have shown its efficacy as preemptive therapy and treatment of resistant and refractory CMV infections. Adoptive T cell therapy is an emerging option for treatment of refractory and resistant CMV. Of the different CMV vaccine trials, PepVax has shown promising results in a phase 1 trial. Summary: CMV cell-mediated immunity assays have potential to be used as an adjunctive test to develop individualized management plan by identifying the patients who develop immune reconstitution; however, further prospective interventional studies are needed. Maribavir and adoptive T cell therapy are promising new therapies for treatment of CMV infections. CMV vaccine trials for prevention are also under way.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature 2021.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16252
- Update on cytomegalovirus in transplant recipients: new agents, prophylaxis, and cell-mediated immunity.
- Authors: Manuel O, Avery RK
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 1
- Letermovir for the prevention of cytomegalovirus infection in adult cytomegalovirus-seropositive hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients.
- Authors: Foolad F, Aitken SL, Chemaly RF
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Role of letermovir for prevention of cytomegalovirus infection after allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Razonable RR
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Treatment of CMV infection after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Maffini E, Giaccone L, Festuccia M, Brunello L, Busca A, Bruno B
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- [Cytomegalovirus infections following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: prophylaxis and treatment].
- Authors: Katayama Y, Iwato K
- Issue date: 2019