Biomarker Categorization in Transcriptomic Meta-Analysis by Concordant Patterns With Application to Pan-Cancer Studies
Milton, Donald K
JournalFrontiers in Genetics
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith the increasing availability and dropping cost of high-throughput technology in recent years, many-omics datasets have accumulated in the public domain. Combining multiple transcriptomic studies on related hypothesis via meta-analysis can improve statistical power and reproducibility over single studies. For differential expression (DE) analysis, biomarker categorization by DE pattern across studies is a natural but critical task following biomarker detection to help explain between study heterogeneity and classify biomarkers into categories with potentially related functionality. In this paper, we propose a novel meta-analysis method to categorize biomarkers by simultaneously considering the concordant pattern and the biological and statistical significance across studies. Biomarkers with the same DE pattern can be analyzed together in downstream pathway enrichment analysis. In the presence of different types of transcripts (e.g., mRNA, miRNA, and lncRNA, etc.), integrative analysis including miRNA/lncRNA target enrichment analysis and miRNA-mRNA and lncRNA-mRNA causal regulatory network analysis can be conducted jointly on all the transcripts of the same category. We applied our method to two Pan-cancer transcriptomic study examples with single or multiple types of transcripts available. Targeted downstream analysis identified categories of biomarkers with unique functionality and regulatory relationships that motivate new hypothesis in Pan-cancer analysis.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Ye, Ke, Chen, Cruz-Cano, He, Zhang, Dorgan, Milton and Ma.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16235
- BAYESIAN LATENT HIERARCHICAL MODEL FOR TRANSCRIPTOMIC META-ANALYSIS TO DETECT BIOMARKERS WITH CLUSTERED META-PATTERNS OF DIFFERENTIAL EXPRESSION SIGNALS.
- Authors: Huo Z, Song C, Tseng G
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Biomarker detection and categorization in ribonucleic acid sequencing meta-analysis using Bayesian hierarchical models.
- Authors: Ma T, Liang F, Tseng G
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Retrospective analysis: reproducibility of interblastomere differences of mRNA expression in 2-cell stage mouse embryos is remarkably poor due to combinatorial mechanisms of blastomere diversification.
- Authors: Casser E, Israel S, Schlatt S, Nordhoff V, Boiani M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- LncmiRSRN: identification and analysis of long non-coding RNA related miRNA sponge regulatory network in human cancer.
- Authors: Zhang J, Liu L, Li J, Le TD
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 15
- Biomarker detection in the integration of multiple multi-class genomic studies.
- Authors: Lu S, Li J, Song C, Shen K, Tseng GC
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 1