Traditional Chinese Medicine in Cancer Care: An Overview of 5834 Randomized Controlled Trials Published in Chinese
Wieland, Lisa Susan
JournalIntegrative Cancer Therapies
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is widely integrated into cancer care in China. An overview in 2011 identified 2384 randomized and non-randomized controlled trials (RCTs, non-RCTs) on TCM for cancer published in the Chinese literature. This article summarizes updated evidence of RCTs on TCM for cancer care. Methods: We searched 4 main Chinese databases: China National Knowledge Infrastructure, Chinese Scientific Journal Database, SinoMed, and Wanfang. RCTs on TCM used in cancer care were analyzed in this bibliometric study. Results: Of 5834 RCTs (477 157 cancer patients), only 62 RCTs were indexed in MEDLINE. The top 3 cancers treated were lung, stomach, and breast cancer. About 4752 RCTs (81.45%) tested TCM combined with conventional treatment, and 1082 RCTs (18.55%) used TCM alone for treating symptoms and side-effects. Herbal medicine was the most frequently used TCM modality (5087 RCTs; 87.20%). The most frequently reported outcome was symptom improvement (3712 RCTs; 63.63%) followed by quality of life (2725 RCTs; 46.71%), and biomarkers (2384 RCTs; 40.86%). The majority of RCTs (4051; 69.44%) concluded there were beneficial effects using either TCM alone or TCM plus conventional treatment compared with conventional treatment. Conclusion: Substantial randomized trials demonstrated different types/stages of cancer were treated by various TCM modalities, alone or in combination with conventional medicine. Further evaluation on the effects and safety of TCM modalities focusing on outcomes such as quality of life is required.
Traditional Chinese medicine
randomized controlled trials
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16206
- Chinese herbal medicine for oesophageal cancer.
- Authors: Chen X, Deng L, Jiang X, Wu T
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 22
- Traditional Chinese medicine in cancer care: a review of controlled clinical studies published in chinese.
- Authors: Li X, Yang G, Li X, Zhang Y, Yang J, Chang J, Sun X, Zhou X, Guo Y, Xu Y, Liu J, Bensoussan A
- Issue date: 2013
- Effect of Traditional Chinese Medicine on Musculoskeletal Symptoms in Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Poo CL, Dewadas HD, Ng FL, Foo CN, Lim YM
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Oral traditional Chinese medication for adhesive small bowel obstruction.
- Authors: Suo T, Gu X, Andersson R, Ma H, Zhang W, Deng W, Zhang B, Cai D, Qin X
- Issue date: 2012 May 16
- Effects of Acupuncture, Tuina, Tai Chi, Qigong, and Traditional Chinese Medicine Five-Element Music Therapy on Symptom Management and Quality of Life for Cancer Patients: A Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Tao WW, Jiang H, Tao XM, Jiang P, Sha LY, Sun XC
- Issue date: 2016 Apr