A call to action: Antiracist patient engagement in adolescent and young adult oncology research and advocacy
AuthorCheung, Christabel K
Miller, Kimberly A
Betz, Gail D
Helbling, Laura E
Thomas, Bria N
Lewis, Mark A
JournalFuture Oncology (London, England)
PublisherFuture Medicine Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmidst the concurrent global crises of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), uprisings against Anti-Black racism and police brutality, as well as anti-Asian racism and violence, the field of medicine found itself simultaneously called upon to respond as essential workers in the public health devastation of COVID-19, and as representatives of healthcare institutions wrought with the impacts of systemic racism. Clinicians, researchers, and advocates in adolescent and young adult (AYA) oncology, must come together in authentic activism to begin the work of creating structural change to advance antiracist approaches to patient engagement in AYA oncology research and advocacy. Critical review of existing practices is needed to ensure that ethical and effective research methods are employed when engaging with racial and ethnic minority AYA patients with cancer, who may be particularly vulnerable and exploited in the current context.
adolescent and young adult oncology
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16204
- Call to Action: Structural Racism as a Fundamental Driver of Health Disparities: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association.
- Authors: Churchwell K, Elkind MSV, Benjamin RM, Carson AP, Chang EK, Lawrence W, Mills A, Odom TM, Rodriguez CJ, Rodriguez F, Sanchez E, Sharrief AZ, Sims M, Williams O, American Heart Association.
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 15
- Antiracist Praxis in Public Health: A Call for Ethical Reflections.
- Authors: Fletcher FE, Jiang W, Best AL
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Structural Racism and the COVID-19 Experience in the United States.
- Authors: Dickinson KL, Roberts JD, Banacos N, Neuberger L, Koebele E, Blanch-Hartigan D, Shanahan EA
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Police Brutality and Black Health: Setting the Agenda for Public Health Scholars.
- Authors: Alang S, McAlpine D, McCreedy E, Hardeman R
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Sounding the Alarm: Six Strategies for Medical Students to Champion Anti-Racism Advocacy.
- Authors: Fadoju D, Azap RA, Olayiwola JN
- Issue date: 2021