Multiple Testing, Cut-Point Optimization, and Signs of Publication Bias in Prognostic FDG-PET Imaging Studies of Head and Neck and Lung Cancer: A Review and Meta-Analysis
JournalDiagnostics (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPositron emission tomography (PET) imaging with 2-deoxy-2-[18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) was proposed as prognostic marker in radiotherapy. Various uptake metrics and cut points were used, potentially leading to inflated effect estimates. Here, we performed a meta-analysis and systematic review of the prognostic value of pretreatment FDG-PET in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), with tests for publication bias. Hazard ratio (HR) for overall survival (OS), disease free survival (DFS), and local control was extracted or derived from the 57 studies included. Test for publication bias was performed, and the number of statistical tests and cut-point optimizations were registered. Eggers regression related to correlation of SUVmax with OS/DFS yielded p = 0.08/p = 0.02 for HNSCC and p < 0.001/p = 0.014 for NSCLC. No outcomes showed significant correlation with SUVmax, when adjusting for publication bias effect, whereas all four showed a correlation in the conventional meta-analysis. The number of statistical tests and cut points were high with no indication of improvement over time. Our analysis showed significant evidence of publication bias leading to inflated estimates of the prognostic value of SUVmax. We suggest that improved management of these complexities, including predefined statistical analysis plans, are critical for a reliable assessment of FDG-PET.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16164
- Prognostic value of maximum standardized uptake value measured by pretreatment 18F-FDG PET/CT in locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Cacicedo J, Fernandez I, Del Hoyo O, Navarro A, Gomez-Iturriaga A, Pijoan JI, Martinez-Indart L, Escudero J, Gomez-Suarez J, de Zarate RO, Perez JF, Bilbao P, Rades D
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Prognostic value of preoperative 18F-FDG PET/CT for primary head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Joo YH, Yoo IeR, Cho KJ, Park JO, Nam IC, Kim CS, Kim MS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Prognositc significance of SUV<sub>max</sub> on pretreatment <sup>18</sup> F-FDG PET/CT in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy: A meta-analysis.
- Authors: Dong M, Liu J, Sun X, Xing L
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Prognostic Value of 18F-FDG PET/CT in Surgical Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Liu J, Dong M, Sun X, Li W, Xing L, Yu J
- Issue date: 2016
- Correlation between fluorodeoxyglucose hotspots on pretreatment positron emission tomography/CT and preferential sites of local relapse after chemoradiotherapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Chaput A, Calais J, Robin P, Thureau S, Bourhis D, Modzelewski R, Schick U, Vera P, Salaün PY, Abgral R
- Issue date: 2017 Jun