MRI Guided Focused Ultrasound-Mediated Delivery of Therapeutic Cells to the Brain: A Review of the State-of-the-Art Methodology and Future Applications
JournalFrontiers in Neurology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStem cell and immune cell therapies are being investigated as a potential therapeutic modality for CNS disorders, performing functions such as targeted drug or growth factor delivery, tumor cell destruction, or inflammatory regulation. Despite promising preclinical studies, delivery routes for maximizing cell engraftment, such as stereotactic or intrathecal injection, are invasive and carry risks of hemorrhage and infection. Recent developments in MRI-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) technology have significant implications for treating focal CNS pathologies including neurodegenerative, vascular and malignant processes. MRgFUS is currently employed in the clinic for treating essential tremor and Parkinson's Disease by producing precise, incisionless, transcranial lesions. This non-invasive technology can also be modified for non-destructive applications to safely and transiently open the blood-brain barrier (BBB) to deliver a range of therapeutics, including cells. This review is meant to familiarize the neuro-interventionalist with this topic and discusses the use of MRgFUS for facilitating cellular delivery to the brain. A detailed and comprehensive description is provided on routes of cell administration, imaging strategies for targeting and tracking cellular delivery and engraftment, biophysical mechanisms of BBB enhanced permeability, supportive proof-of-concept studies, and potential for clinical translation.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Ahmed, Gandhi, Melhem and Frenkel.
KeywordMRI-guided focused ultrasound
central nervous system diseases
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16139
- Magnetic Resonance-Guided Focused Ultrasound : Current Status and Future Perspectives in Thermal Ablation and Blood-Brain Barrier Opening.
- Authors: Lee EJ, Fomenko A, Lozano AM
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Enhanced delivery of gold nanoparticles with therapeutic potential into the brain using MRI-guided focused ultrasound.
- Authors: Etame AB, Diaz RJ, O'Reilly MA, Smith CA, Mainprize TG, Hynynen K, Rutka JT
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- A review of potential applications of MR-guided focused ultrasound for targeting brain tumor therapy.
- Authors: Lamsam L, Johnson E, Connolly ID, Wintermark M, Hayden Gephart M
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Safe and stable noninvasive focal gene delivery to the mammalian brain following focused ultrasound.
- Authors: Stavarache MA, Petersen N, Jurgens EM, Milstein ER, Rosenfeld ZB, Ballon DJ, Kaplitt MG
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 27
- Innovative Applications of MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound for Neurological Disorders.
- Authors: Stavarache MA, Chazen JL, Kaplitt MG
- Issue date: 2021 Jan