Clinical Evaluation of Sofia Rapid Antigen Assay for Detection of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 among Emergency Department to Hospital Admissions
AuthorSmith, Richard D
Johnson, J Kristie
JournalInfection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
PublisherCambridge University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To determine the utility of the Sofia® SARS rapid antigen fluorescent immunoassay (FIA) to guide hospital bed placement of patients being admitted through the emergency department (ED). Design: Cross-sectional analysis of a clinical quality improvement study. Setting: Two community hospitals in Maryland. From 9/21/2020 to 12/3/2020, 2887 patients simultaneously received the Sofia® SARS rapid antigen FIA and SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR assays on admission through the ED. Methods: Rapid antigen results and symptom assessment guided initial patient placement while confirmatory RT-PCR was pending. The sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values of the rapid antigen assay were calculated relative to RT-PCR, overall and separately for symptomatic and asymptomatic patients. Assay sensitivity was compared to RT-PCR cycle threshold (Ct) values. Assay turnaround times were compared. Clinical characteristics of RT-PCR positive patients and potential exposures from false-negative antigen assays were evaluated. Results: Overall agreement, sensitivity, and specificity for all patients was 97.9%, 76.6% (95% confidence interval (CI): 71%, 82%), and 99.7% (95% CI: 99%, 100%), respectively. No differences in performance were seen between asymptomatic and symptomatic individuals. As RT-PCR Ct increased, sensitivity of the antigen assay decreased. Mean turnaround time for the antigen assay and RT-PCR was 1.2 (95% CI: 1.0, 1.3) and 20.1 (95% CI: 18.9, 40.3) hours, respectively (p<0.001). No transmission from antigen-negative/RT-PCR-positive patients was identified. Conclusions: While not a replacement for RT-PCR for detection of all SARS-CoV-2 infections, the Sofia® SARS antigen FIA has clinical utility for potential initial timely patient placement.
KeywordSofia SARS rapid antigen fluorescent immunoassay (FIA)
Sofia SARS antigen FIA
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16128
- Epidemiologic Characteristics Associated With Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Antigen-Based Test Results, Real-Time Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (rRT-PCR) Cycle Threshold Values, Subgenomic RNA, and Viral Culture Results From University Testing.
- Authors: Ford L, Lee C, Pray IW, Cole D, Bigouette JP, Abedi GR, Bushman D, Delahoy MJ, Currie DW, Cherney B, Kirby MK, Fajardo GC, Caudill M, Langolf K, Kahrs J, Zochert T, Kelly P, Pitts C, Lim A, Aulik N, Tamin A, Harcourt JL, Queen K, Zhang J, Whitaker B, Browne H, Medrzycki M, Shewmaker PL, Bonenfant G, Zhou B, Folster JM, Bankamp B, Bowen MD, Thornburg NJ, Goffard K, Limbago B, Bateman A, Tate JE, Gieryn D, Kirking HL, Westergaard RP, Killerby ME, CDC COVID-19 Surge Laboratory Group.
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 15
- Performance of an Antigen-Based Test for Asymptomatic and Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Testing at Two University Campuses - Wisconsin, September-October 2020.
- Authors: Pray IW, Ford L, Cole D, Lee C, Bigouette JP, Abedi GR, Bushman D, Delahoy MJ, Currie D, Cherney B, Kirby M, Fajardo G, Caudill M, Langolf K, Kahrs J, Kelly P, Pitts C, Lim A, Aulik N, Tamin A, Harcourt JL, Queen K, Zhang J, Whitaker B, Browne H, Medrzycki M, Shewmaker P, Folster J, Bankamp B, Bowen MD, Thornburg NJ, Goffard K, Limbago B, Bateman A, Tate JE, Gieryn D, Kirking HL, Westergaard R, Killerby M, CDC COVID-19 Surge Laboratory Group.
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 1
- Diagnostic Performance of an Antigen Test with RT-PCR for the Detection of SARS-CoV-2 in a Hospital Setting - Los Angeles County, California, June-August 2020.
- Authors: Brihn A, Chang J, OYong K, Balter S, Terashita D, Rubin Z, Yeganeh N
- Issue date: 2021 May 14
- Rapid, point-of-care antigen and molecular-based tests for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Authors: Dinnes J, Deeks JJ, Adriano A, Berhane S, Davenport C, Dittrich S, Emperador D, Takwoingi Y, Cunningham J, Beese S, Dretzke J, Ferrante di Ruffano L, Harris IM, Price MJ, Taylor-Phillips S, Hooft L, Leeflang MM, Spijker R, Van den Bruel A, Cochrane COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group.
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 26
- Comparison of the Quidel Sofia SARS FIA Test to the Hologic Aptima SARS-CoV-2 TMA Test for Diagnosis of COVID-19 in Symptomatic Outpatients.
- Authors: Beck ET, Paar W, Fojut L, Serwe J, Jahnke RR
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 21