Mesenchymal stem cells in glioblastoma therapy and progression: How one cell does it all
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta. Reviews on Cancer
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are among the most investigated and applied somatic stem cells in experimental therapies for the regeneration of damaged tissues. Moreover, as it was recently postulated, MSCs may demonstrate anti-tumor properties. Glioblastoma (GBM) is a grade IV central nervous system tumor with no available effective therapy and an inevitably fatal prognosis. Experimental studies utilizing MSCs in GBM treatment resulted in numerous controversies. Native MSCs were shown to exert anti-GBM activity by controlling angiogenesis, regulating cell cycle, and inducing apoptosis. They also were used as sensitizing factors and vehicles delivering various anti-cancer compounds. On the other hand, some experiments revealed significant risks related to MSC-based therapies for GBM, such as enhancement of tumor cell proliferation, invasion, and aggressiveness. The following review elaborates on all mentioned contradictory data and provides a realistic, current clinical perspective on MSCs' potential in GBM treatment.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16115
- Umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells inhibit, but adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells promote, glioblastoma multiforme proliferation.
- Authors: Akimoto K, Kimura K, Nagano M, Takano S, To'a Salazar G, Yamashita T, Ohneda O
- Issue date: 2013 May 1
- Cross talk between mesenchymal and glioblastoma stem cells: Communication beyond controversies.
- Authors: Bajetto A, Thellung S, Dellacasagrande I, Pagano A, Barbieri F, Florio T
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Simultaneous impact of atorvastatin and mesenchymal stem cells for glioblastoma multiform suppression in rat glioblastoma multiform model.
- Authors: Goodarzi A, Khanmohammadi M, Ai A, Khodayari H, Ai A, Farahani MS, Khodayari S, Ebrahimi-Barough S, Mohandesnezhad S, Ai J
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Tropism of mesenchymal stem cell toward CD133<sup>+</sup> stem cell of glioblastoma in vitro and promote tumor proliferation in vivo.
- Authors: Pavon LF, Sibov TT, de Souza AV, da Cruz EF, Malheiros SMF, Cabral FR, de Souza JG, Boufleur P, de Oliveira DM, de Toledo SRC, Marti LC, Malheiros JM, Paiva FF, Tannús A, de Oliveira SM, Chudzinski-Tavassi AM, de Paiva Neto MA, Cavalheiro S
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 9
- Exploiting tumor-intrinsic signals to induce mesenchymal stem cell-mediated suicide gene therapy to fight malignant glioma.
- Authors: Li M, Sun S, Dangelmajer S, Zhang Q, Wang J, Hu F, Dong F, Kahlert UD, Zhu M, Lei T
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 12