High-throughput Detection of Eukaryotic Parasites and Arboviruses in Mosquitoes
AuthorCannon, Matthew V
Bogale, Haikel N
Kone, Abdoulaye K
Doumbo, Ogobara K
Thera, Mahamadou A
Plowe, Christopher V
Travassos, Mark A
Irish, Seth R
St. Laurent, Brandyce
Fritz, Megan L
PublisherThe Company of Biologists Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVector-borne pathogens cause many human infectious diseases and are responsible for high mortality and morbidity throughout the world. They can also cause livestock epidemics with dramatic social and economic consequences. Due to its high costs, vector-borne disease surveillance is often limited to current threats, and the investigation of emerging pathogens typically occurs after the reports of clinical cases. Here, we use high-throughput sequencing to detect and identify a wide range of parasites and viruses carried by mosquitoes from Cambodia, Guinea, Mali and Maryland. We apply this approach to individual Anopheles mosquitoes as well as pools of mosquitoes captured in traps; and compare the outcomes of this assay when applied to DNA or RNA. We identified known human and animal pathogens and mosquito parasites belonging to a wide range of taxa, as well as novel DNA sequences from previously uncharacterized organisms. Our results also revealed that analysis of the content of an entire trap could be an efficient approach to monitor and identify rare vector-borne pathogens in large surveillance studies. Overall, we describe a high-throughput and easy-to-customize assay to screen for a wide-range of pathogens and efficiently complement current vector-borne disease surveillance approaches.
Rights/Terms© 2021. Published by The Company of Biologists Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16080
- High-throughput detection of eukaryotic parasites and arboviruses in mosquitoes.
- Authors: Cannon MV, Bogale HN, Bhalerao D, Keita K, Camara D, Barry Y, Keita M, Coulibaly D, Kone AK, Doumbo OK, Thera MA, Plowe CV, Travassos MA, Irish SR, Yeroshefsky J, Dorothy J, Prendergast B, St Laurent B, Fritz ML, Serre D
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Exploiting mosquito sugar feeding to detect mosquito-borne pathogens.
- Authors: Hall-Mendelin S, Ritchie SA, Johansen CA, Zborowski P, Cortis G, Dandridge S, Hall RA, van den Hurk AF
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Metagenomic Analysis of the Virome of Mosquito Excreta.
- Authors: Ramírez AL, Colmant AMG, Warrilow D, Huang B, Pyke AT, McMahon JL, Meyer DB, Graham RMA, Jennison AV, Ritchie SA, van den Hurk AF
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 9
- Mosquito-Borne Viruses and Insect-Specific Viruses Revealed in Field-Collected Mosquitoes by a Monitoring Tool Adapted from a Microbial Detection Array.
- Authors: Martin E, Borucki MK, Thissen J, Garcia-Luna S, Hwang M, Wise de Valdez M, Jaing CJ, Hamer GL, Frank M
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- A New High-Throughput Tool to Screen Mosquito-Borne Viruses in Zika Virus Endemic/Epidemic Areas.
- Authors: Moutailler S, Yousfi L, Mousson L, Devillers E, Vazeille M, Vega-Rúa A, Perrin Y, Jourdain F, Chandre F, Cannet A, Chantilly S, Restrepo J, Guidez A, Dusfour I, Vieira Santos de Abreu F, Pereira Dos Santos T, Jiolle D, Visser TM, Koenraadt CJM, Wongsokarijo M, Diallo M, Diallo D, Gaye A, Boyer S, Duong V, Piorkowski G, Paupy C, Lourenco de Oliveira R, de Lamballerie X, Failloux AB
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 27