Need for payer-provider partnerships in addressing social determinants of health
JournalJournal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy
PublisherAcademy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis article examines payer-provider partnerships in social determinants of health (SDoH) interventions, identifies important factors for an approach centered around return on investment (ROI) using integrated delivery and finance systems as case studies, and advocates for increased collaboration between payers and providers when addressing SDoH. Despite the numerous examples where payers and providers have attempted to independently address SDoH, there is limited evidence for the success of these interventions. Since most stakeholders individually do not have access to financial and clinical data, identifying an ROI for SDoH interventions is logistically challenging, but even when these data are available, stakeholders may not want to share their learnings due to negative findings and/or unwillingness to share proprietary information. These issues are further amplified by the effects of COVID-19 and its worsening effect on widening health disparities, but many payers and providers have risen to the challenge together. This article advocates for the importance of payer-provider partnerships to address SDoH and uses examples of integrated delivery and finance systems as case studies of how these partnerships could function. DISCLOSURES: No outside funding supported the writing of this article. Hartle is employed by Geisinger Health System. The other authors have nothing to disclose.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16013
- Addressing Social Determinants of Liver Disease During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond: A Call to Action.
- Authors: Kardashian A, Wilder J, Terrault NA, Price JC
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Considerations in Addressing Social Determinants of Health to Reduce Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Stroke Outcomes in the United States.
- Authors: Skolarus LE, Sharrief A, Gardener H, Jenkins C, Boden-Albala B
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Evidence Brief: The Quality of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses
- Authors: McCleery E, Christensen V, Peterson K, Humphrey L, Helfand M
- Issue date: 2011
- A qualitative assessment of barriers and facilitators associated with addressing social determinants of health among members of a health collaborative in the rural Midwest.
- Authors: Dauner KN, Loomer L
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 24
- A Framework for Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Social Determinants of Health Initiative.
- Authors: Parrill RE
- Issue date: 2020 Jul-Aug