The long observation in vitro of prevention effect of novel self-etching orthodontic adhesive modified with 2-methacryloxyethyl phosphorylcholine in enamel demineralization
JournalDental Materials Journal
PublisherNihon Shika Riko Gakkai/Japanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe enamel demineralization is common in fixed orthodontics. Plaque accumulation around the bracket plays a critical role and could cause various degrees of white spot lesions (WSLs) on the surface of teeth. The 2-methacryloyloxyethyl phosphorylcholine (MPC) polymer is a biological polymer with protein repellent and an anti-bacterial adhesion effects. In this study, the enamel shear bond strength (SBS) and protein repellent property in vitro of self-etching orthodontic adhesive with MPC were evaluated. It was found that the self-etching adhesive with 0-7.5%MPC met the orthodontic clinical requirement on the SBS values at three different points of time. The incorporation of 7.5%MPC significantly reduced the bacterial adhesion and total microorganism of the yield biofilm. Moreover, the MTT assay showed that the amount of plaque metabolism in 7.5%MPC was the lowest among the groups. To conclude, the novel protein repellent self-etching adhesive was able to inhibit biofilm formation efficiently and minimize enamel demineralization.
Keyword2-methacryloyloxyethyl phosphorylcholine (MPC)
Enamel bond strength
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16008
- Novel multifunctional dental cement to prevent enamel demineralization near orthodontic brackets.
- Authors: Ma Y, Zhang N, Weir MD, Bai Y, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Novel self-etch adhesive with antibacterial and protein-repellent functions to prevent enamel demineralization.
- Authors: Wang B, Zhang N, Wang X, Park SR, Weir MD, Oates TW, Xu HHK, Bai Y
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 30
- [Protein-repellent and antibacterial properties of modified orthodontic adhesive].
- Authors: Zhang N, Ma YS, Xu HK, Bai YX
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Effects of Different Combinations of Er:YAG Laser-Adhesives on Enamel Demineralization and Bracket Bond Strength.
- Authors: Çokakoğlu S, Nalçacı R, Üşümez S, Malkoç S
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Novel self-etching and antibacterial orthodontic adhesive containing dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate to inhibit enamel demineralization.
- Authors: Wang X, Zhang N, Wang B, Park SR, Weir MD, Xu HHK, Bai Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 29