Bioactive small molecules in calcium phosphate scaffold enhanced osteogenic differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells
Weir, Michael D
JournalDental Materials Journal
PublisherNihon Shika Riko Gakkai/Japanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) are exciting for regenerative medicine due to their multi-potent differentiation. SB431542 bioactive molecule can activate bone morphogenetic protein-signalling in osteoblasts. The objectives were to: (1) develop a novel injectable calcium phosphate cement (CPC)-SB431542 scaffold for dental/craniofacial bone engineering; and (2) investigate cell proliferation and osteo-differentiation of hiPSC-derived mesenchymal stem cells (hiPSC-MSCs) on CPC-SB431542 scaffold. Three groups were tested: CPC control; CPC with SB431542 inside CPC (CPCSM); CPC with SB431542 in osteogenic medium (CPC+SMM). SB431542 in CPC promoted stem cell proliferation and viability. hiPSC-MSCs differentiated into osteogenic lineage and synthesized bone minerals. CPC with SB431542 showed much greater osteo-expressions and more bone minerals than those without SB431542. In conclusion, hiPSC-MSCs on CPC scaffold containing SB431542 showed excellent osteo-differentiation and bone mineral synthesis for the first time. CPC was a suitable scaffold for delivering stem cells and SB431542 to promote bone regeneration in dental/craniofacial applications.
KeywordBone tissue engineering
Calcium phosphate cement
Induced-pluripotent stem cells
Small molecule SB431542
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16007
- Injectable calcium phosphate with hydrogel fibers encapsulating induced pluripotent, dental pulp and bone marrow stem cells for bone repair.
- Authors: Wang L, Zhang C, Li C, Weir MD, Wang P, Reynolds MA, Zhao L, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Hydrogel fibers encapsulating human stem cells in an injectable calcium phosphate scaffold for bone tissue engineering.
- Authors: Wang L, Wang P, Weir MD, Reynolds MA, Zhao L, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 4
- Human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cell seeding on calcium phosphate scaffold for bone regeneration.
- Authors: Tang M, Chen W, Liu J, Weir MD, Cheng L, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Angiogenic and osteogenic regeneration in rats via calcium phosphate scaffold and endothelial cell co-culture with human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), human umbilical cord MSCs, human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived MSCs and human embryonic stem cell-derived MSCs.
- Authors: Chen W, Liu X, Chen Q, Bao C, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Human embryonic stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cell seeding on calcium phosphate cement-chitosan-RGD scaffold for bone repair.
- Authors: Chen W, Zhou H, Weir MD, Tang M, Bao C, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2013 Apr