Safety and immunogenicity of Vi-typhoid conjugate vaccine co-administration with routine 9-month vaccination in Burkina Faso: A randomised controlled phase 2 trial
AuthorSirima, Sodiomon B
Berges, Gloria Damoaliga
Bougouma, Edith C
Rotrosen, Elizabeth T
Kathleen Tracy, J
Jamka, Leslie P
Oshinsky, Jennifer J
Pasetti, Marcela F
Neuzil, Kathleen M
Laurens, Matthew B
JournalInternational Journal of Infectious Diseases : IJID
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: In 2017, the World Health Organisation (WHO) pre-qualified a single-dose typhoid conjugate vaccine (TCV) and identified TCV co-administration studies as a research priority. We tested co-administration of Typbar TCV® (Bharat Biotech International) with measles-rubella (MR) and yellow fever (YF) vaccines. Methods: We conducted a randomised, double-blind, and controlled, phase 2 trial in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Healthy children aged 9-11 months were randomised 1:1 to receive TCV (Group 1) or control vaccine (inactivated polio vaccine (IPV), Group 2). Vaccines were administered intramuscularly with routine MR and YF vaccines. Safety was assessed by 1) local and systemic reactions on days 0, 3, and 7; 2) unsolicited adverse events within 28 days; and 3) serious adverse events (SAEs) within 6 months after immunisation. Results: We enrolled, randomised, and vaccinated 100 eligible children (49 Group 1 and 51 Group 2). Safety outcomes occurred with similar frequency in both groups: local/solicited reactions (Group 1: 1/49, Group 2: 3/50), systemic/solicited reactions (Group 1: 4/49, Group 2: 9/50), unsolicited adverse events (Group 1: 26/49, Group 2: 33/51), and SAEs (Group 1: 2/49, Group 2: 3/51). TCV conferred robust immunogenicity without interference with MR or YF vaccines. Conclusion: TCV can be safely co-administered with MR and YF vaccines to children at the 9-month vaccination visit.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021. Published by Elsevier Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15989
- Safety and immunogenicity of co-administration of meningococcal type A and measles-rubella vaccines with typhoid conjugate vaccine in children aged 15-23 months in Burkina Faso.
- Authors: Sirima SB, Ouedraogo A, Barry N, Siribie M, Tiono AB, Nébié I, Konaté AT, Berges GD, Diarra A, Ouedraogo M, Soulama I, Hema A, Datta S, Liang Y, Rotrosen ET, Tracy JK, Jamka LP, Neuzil KM, Laurens MB
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- A Phase II, Randomized, Double-blind, Controlled Safety and Immunogenicity Trial of Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine in Children Under 2 Years of Age in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso: A Methods Paper.
- Authors: Laurens MB, Sirima SB, Rotrosen ET, Siribie M, Tiono A, Ouedraogo A, Liang Y, Jamka LP, Kotloff KL, Neuzil KM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 7
- Safety and immunogenicity of typhoid fever and yellow fever vaccines when administered concomitantly with quadrivalent meningococcal ACWY glycoconjugate vaccine in healthy adults.
- Authors: Alberer M, Burchard G, Jelinek T, Reisinger E, Beran J, Hlavata LC, Forleo-Neto E, Dagnew AF, Arora AK
- Issue date: 2015 Jan-Feb
- Safety and immunogenicity of a Vi polysaccharide-tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine (Typbar-TCV) in healthy infants, children, and adults in typhoid endemic areas: a multicenter, 2-cohort, open-label, double-blind, randomized controlled phase 3 study.
- Authors: Mohan VK, Varanasi V, Singh A, Pasetti MF, Levine MM, Venkatesan R, Ella KM
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 1
- Safety and immunogenicity of a typhoid conjugate vaccine among children aged 9 months to 12 years in Malawi: a nested substudy of a double-blind, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Nampota-Nkomba N, Nyirenda OM, Khonde L, Mapemba V, Mbewe M, Ndaferankhande JM, Msuku H, Masesa C, Misiri T, Mwakiseghile F, Patel PD, Patel P, Johnson-Mayo I, Pasetti MF, Heyderman RS, Tracy JK, Datta S, Liang Y, Neuzil KM, Gordon MA, Laurens MB, Typhoid Vaccine Acceleration Consortium team.
- Issue date: 2022 Sep