Effect of mupirocin for Staphylococcus aureus decolonization on the microbiome of the nose and throat in community and nursing home dwelling adults
Lydecker, Alison D
DeBoy, Robert T
Johnson, J Kristie
Hittle, Lauren L
Mongodin, Emmanuel F
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To characterize the microbial communities of the anterior nares (nose) and posterior pharynx (throat) of adults dwelling in the community and in nursing homes before and after treatment with intranasal mupirocin. Methods: Staphylococcus aureus-colonized adults were recruited from the community (n = 25) and from nursing homes (n = 7). S. aureus colonization was confirmed using cultures. Participants had specimens taken from nose and throat for S. aureus quantitation using quantitative PCR for the nuc gene and bacterial profiling using 16S rRNA gene sequencing over 12 weeks. After two baseline study visits 4 weeks apart, participants received intranasal mupirocin for 5 days with 3 further visits over a 8 week follow-up period. Results: We found a decrease in the absolute abundance of S. aureus in the nose for 8 weeks after mupirocin (1693 vs 141 fg/ul, p = 0.047). Mupirocin caused a statistically significant disruption in bacterial communities of the nose and throat after 1 week, which was no longer detected after 8 weeks. Bacterial community profiling demonstrated that there was a decrease in the relative abundance of S. aureus (8% vs 0.3%, p<0.01) 8 weeks after mupirocin and a transient decrease in the relative abundance of Staphylococcus epidermidis in the nose (21% vs 5%, p<0.01) 1 week after mupirocin. Conclusions: Decolonization with mupirocin leads to a sustained effect on absolute and relative abundance of S. aureus but not for other bacteria in the nose. This demonstrates that a short course of mupirocin selectively decreases S. aureus in the nose for up to 8 weeks.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15987
- Microbiological effect of mupirocin and chlorhexidine for Staphylococcus aureus decolonization in community and nursing home based adults.
- Authors: Roghmann MC, Lydecker AD, Langenberg P, Mongodin EF, Johnson JK
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Effect of mupirocin treatment on nasal, pharyngeal, and perineal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus in healthy adults.
- Authors: Wertheim HF, Verveer J, Boelens HA, van Belkum A, Verbrugh HA, Vos MC
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Comparison of the Microbiota of Older Adults Living in Nursing Homes and the Community.
- Authors: Roghmann MC, Lydecker AD, Hittle L, DeBoy RT, Nowak RG, Johnson JK, Mongodin EF
- Issue date: 2017 Sep-Oct
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in a nursing home: eradication with mupirocin.
- Authors: Cederna JE, Terpenning MS, Ensberg M, Bradley SF, Kauffman CA
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Long-term efficacy of intranasal mupirocin ointment. A prospective cohort study of Staphylococcus aureus carriage.
- Authors: Doebbeling BN, Reagan DR, Pfaller MA, Houston AK, Hollis RJ, Wenzel RP
- Issue date: 1994 Jul 11