Integration of population and functional genomics to understand mechanisms of artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum
Access full-text PDFOpen Access
Check access options
Check access options
Bannerman, Carl D
Silva, Joana C
Adams, John H
JournalInternational Journal for Parasitology. Drugs and Drug Resistance
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResistance to antimalarial drugs, and in particular to the artemisinin derivatives and their partner drugs, threatens recent progress toward regional malaria elimination and eventual global malaria eradication. Population-level studies utilizing whole-genome sequencing approaches have facilitated the identification of regions of the parasite genome associated with both clinical and in vitro drug-resistance phenotypes. However, the biological relevance of genes identified in these analyses and the establishment of a causal relationship between genotype and phenotype requires functional characterization. Here we examined data from population genomic and transcriptomic studies in the context of data generated from recent functional studies, using a new population genetic approach designed to identify potential favored mutations within the region of a selective sweep (iSAFE). We identified several genes functioning in pathways now known to be associated with artemisinin resistance that were supported in early population genomic studies, as well as potential new drug targets/pathways for further validation and consideration for treatment of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum. In addition, we establish the utility of iSAFE in identifying positively-selected mutations in population genomic studies, potentially accelerating the time to functional validation of candidate genes.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15976
- How genomics is contributing to the fight against artemisinin-resistant malaria parasites.
- Authors: Cravo P, Napolitano H, Culleton R
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Artemisinin-Resistant Plasmodium falciparum Malaria.
- Authors: Fairhurst RM, Dondorp AM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- The spread of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in the Greater Mekong subregion: a molecular epidemiology observational study.
- Authors: Imwong M, Suwannasin K, Kunasol C, Sutawong K, Mayxay M, Rekol H, Smithuis FM, Hlaing TM, Tun KM, van der Pluijm RW, Tripura R, Miotto O, Menard D, Dhorda M, Day NPJ, White NJ, Dondorp AM
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Functional analysis of Plasmodium falciparum subpopulations associated with artemisinin resistance in Cambodia.
- Authors: Dwivedi A, Reynes C, Kuehn A, Roche DB, Khim N, Hebrard M, Milanesi S, Rivals E, Frutos R, Menard D, Mamoun CB, Colinge J, Cornillot E
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 19
- Plasmodium berghei K13 Mutations Mediate In Vivo Artemisinin Resistance That Is Reversed by Proteasome Inhibition.
- Authors: Simwela NV, Stokes BH, Aghabi D, Bogyo M, Fidock DA, Waters AP
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 10