Hypercalcemia of Malignancy Attributed to Cosecretion of PTH and PTHRP in Lung Adenocarcinoma
JournalAACE Clinical Case Reports
PublisherAmerican Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Hypercalcemia of malignancy (HCM) portends a very poor prognosis, and no established guidelines exist regarding its management. Most instances of HCM are due to local osteolysis or secretion of parathyroid hormone related-peptide, while less than 1% of all cases are due to ectopic secretion of parathyroid hormone. Case report: We present an unusual case of HCM due to proposed cosecretion of both parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related protein in a 36-year-old man with a poorly differentiated lung adenocarcinoma. The patient's hypercalcemia was refractory to conventional measures, including intravenous bisphosphonate therapy (zoledronic acid), and was improved with administration of denosumab. Conclusion: This is the youngest and first case of hypercalcemia of malignancy attributed to cosecretion of PTH and PTHrP from an adenocarcinoma. In refractory cases of HCM, denosumab is a potential option when other conventional measures are unsuccessful.
Keyword1,25 vitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D
HCM, hypercalcemia of malignancy
HD, hospital day
Hypercalcemia of malignancy
PTH, parathyroid hormone
PTHrP, parathyroid hormone-related peptide
ZA, zoledronic acid
cosecretion of PTH and PTHrP
hypercalcemia of malignancy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15971
- Ectopic parathyroid hormone as a rare aetiology of hypercalcemia with rhabdomyosarcoma: a new treatment strategy with Zoledronic Acid and Denosumab.
- Authors: Kilci F, Demirsoy U, Jones JH, Çakır Ö, Çizmecioğlu-Jones FM
- Issue date: 2022 May 10
- Hypercalcemia in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma due to cosecretion of PTHrP and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D.
- Authors: Gonciulea AR, Wang Y, Bikle DD, Sellmeyer DE
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- Evaluation of Diagnostic Workup and Etiology of Hypercalcemia of Malignancy in a Cohort of 167 551 Patients Over 20 Years.
- Authors: Sheehan MT, Li YH, Doi SA, Onitilo AA
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 1
- Calcitriol Elevation Is Associated with a Higher Risk of Refractory Hypercalcemia of Malignancy in Solid Tumors.
- Authors: Chukir T, Liu Y, Hoffman K, Bilezikian JP, Farooki A
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- Parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone related protein assays in the investigation of hypercalcemic patients in hospital in a Chinese population.
- Authors: Lee JK, Chuang MJ, Lu CC, Hao LJ, Yang CY, Han TM, Lam HC
- Issue date: 1997 Jul-Aug