Hypercalcemia of Malignancy Attributed to Cosecretion of PTH and PTHRP in Lung Adenocarcinoma
Access full-text PDFOpen Access
Check access options
Check access options
JournalAACE Clinical Case Reports
PublisherAmerican Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Hypercalcemia of malignancy (HCM) portends a very poor prognosis, and no established guidelines exist regarding its management. Most instances of HCM are due to local osteolysis or secretion of parathyroid hormone related-peptide, while less than 1% of all cases are due to ectopic secretion of parathyroid hormone. Case report: We present an unusual case of HCM due to proposed cosecretion of both parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related protein in a 36-year-old man with a poorly differentiated lung adenocarcinoma. The patient's hypercalcemia was refractory to conventional measures, including intravenous bisphosphonate therapy (zoledronic acid), and was improved with administration of denosumab. Conclusion: This is the youngest and first case of hypercalcemia of malignancy attributed to cosecretion of PTH and PTHrP from an adenocarcinoma. In refractory cases of HCM, denosumab is a potential option when other conventional measures are unsuccessful.
Keyword1,25 vitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D
HCM, hypercalcemia of malignancy
HD, hospital day
Hypercalcemia of malignancy
PTH, parathyroid hormone
PTHrP, parathyroid hormone-related peptide
ZA, zoledronic acid
cosecretion of PTH and PTHrP
hypercalcemia of malignancy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15971
- Parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone related protein assays in the investigation of hypercalcemic patients in hospital in a Chinese population.
- Authors: Lee JK, Chuang MJ, Lu CC, Hao LJ, Yang CY, Han TM, Lam HC
- Issue date: 1997 Jul-Aug
- The clinical utility of parathyroid hormone-related peptide in the assessment of hypercalcemia.
- Authors: Fritchie K, Zedek D, Grenache DG
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and PTHrP mediated malignant hypercalcemia in a seminoma.
- Authors: Rodríguez-Gutiérrez R, Zapata-Rivera MA, Quintanilla-Flores DL, Camara-Lemarroy CR, Lavalle-Gonzalez FJ, González-González JG, Villarreal-Pérez JZ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 10
- Lung cancer associated with hypercalcemia induced by concurrently elevated parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related protein levels.
- Authors: Uchimura K, Mokuno T, Nagasaka A, Hayakawa N, Kato T, Yamazaki N, Kobayashi T, Nagata M, Kotake M, Itoh M, Tsujimura T, Iwase K
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- A case of resistant hypercalcemia of malignancy with a proposed treatment algorithm.
- Authors: McMahan J, Linneman T
- Issue date: 2009 Sep