Whole-genome analysis of Malawian Plasmodium falciparum isolates identifies possible targets of allele-specific immunity to clinical malaria
Naung, Myo T
Moser, Kara A
Buchwald, Andrea G
Seydel, Karl B
Mathanga, Don P
Barry, Alyssa E
Laufer, Miriam K
Silva, Joana C
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIndividuals acquire immunity to clinical malaria after repeated Plasmodium falciparum infections. Immunity to disease is thought to reflect the acquisition of a repertoire of responses to multiple alleles in diverse parasite antigens. In previous studies, we identified polymorphic sites within individual antigens that are associated with parasite immune evasion by examining antigen allele dynamics in individuals followed longitudinally. Here we expand this approach by analyzing genome-wide polymorphisms using whole genome sequence data from 140 parasite isolates representing malaria cases from a longitudinal study in Malawi and identify 25 genes that encode possible targets of naturally acquired immunity that should be validated immunologically and further characterized for their potential as vaccine candidates.
Whole Genome Sequencing
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15907
- Convalescent Plasmodium falciparum-specific seroreactivity does not correlate with paediatric malaria severity or Plasmodium antigen exposure.
- Authors: Kessler A, Campo JJ, Harawa V, Mandala WL, Rogerson SJ, Mowrey WB, Seydel KB, Kim K
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 25
- Plasmodium falciparum merozoite surface protein 1 (MSP1): genotyping and humoral responses to allele-specific variants.
- Authors: Ekala MT, Jouin H, Lekoulou F, Issifou S, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Ntoumi F
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Limited antigenic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane antigen 1 supports the development of effective multi-allele vaccines.
- Authors: Terheggen U, Drew DR, Hodder AN, Cross NJ, Mugyenyi CK, Barry AE, Anders RF, Dutta S, Osier FH, Elliott SR, Senn N, Stanisic DI, Marsh K, Siba PM, Mueller I, Richards JS, Beeson JG
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 16
- Malaria-induced acquisition of antibodies to Plasmodium falciparum variant surface antigens.
- Authors: Ofori MF, Dodoo D, Staalsoe T, Kurtzhals JA, Koram K, Theander TG, Akanmori BD, Hviid L
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Mother-Newborn Pairs in Malawi Have Similar Antibody Repertoires to Diverse Malaria Antigens.
- Authors: Boudová S, Walldorf JA, Bailey JA, Divala T, Mungwira R, Mawindo P, Pablo J, Jasinskas A, Nakajima R, Ouattara A, Adams M, Felgner PL, Plowe CV, Travassos MA, Laufer MK
- Issue date: 2017 Oct