The Ca2+-binding protein sorcin stimulates transcriptional activity of the unfolded protein response mediator ATF6
AuthorParks, Steven Z
Jimenez Awuapura, Natalia
Chabosseau, Pauline L
Kalvakolanu, Dhananjaya V
Valdivia, Héctor H
Rutter, Guy A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSorcin is a calcium-binding protein involved in maintaining endoplasmic reticulum (ER) Ca2+ stores. We have previously shown that overexpressing sorcin under the rat insulin promoter was protective against high-fat diet-induced pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction in vivo. Activating transcription factor 6 (ATF6) is a key mediator of the unfolded protein response (UPR) that provides cellular protection during the progression of ER stress. Here, using nonexcitable HEK293 cells, we show that sorcin overexpression increased ATF6 signalling, whereas sorcin knock out caused a reduction in ATF6 transcriptional activity and increased ER stress. Altogether, our data suggest that sorcin downregulation during lipotoxic stress may prevent full ATF6 activation and a normal UPR during the progression of obesity and insulin resistance.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. FEBS Letters published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Federation of European Biochemical Societies.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15887
- Sorcin Links Pancreatic β-Cell Lipotoxicity to ER Ca2+ Stores.
- Authors: Marmugi A, Parnis J, Chen X, Carmichael L, Hardy J, Mannan N, Marchetti P, Piemonti L, Bosco D, Johnson P, Shapiro JA, Cruciani-Guglielmacci C, Magnan C, Ibberson M, Thorens B, Valdivia HH, Rutter GA, Leclerc I
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Calcium-independent phospholipase A2γ enhances activation of the ATF6 transcription factor during endoplasmic reticulum stress.
- Authors: Elimam H, Papillon J, Takano T, Cybulsky AV
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 30
- Age-related cataracts: Role of unfolded protein response, Ca<sup>2+</sup> mobilization, epigenetic DNA modifications, and loss of Nrf2/Keap1 dependent cytoprotection.
- Authors: Periyasamy P, Shinohara T
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- ER stress signaling has an activating transcription factor 6α (ATF6)-dependent "off-switch".
- Authors: Walter F, O'Brien A, Concannon CG, Düssmann H, Prehn JHM
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 23
- Identification of the G13 (cAMP-response-element-binding protein-related protein) gene product related to activating transcription factor 6 as a transcriptional activator of the mammalian unfolded protein response.
- Authors: Haze K, Okada T, Yoshida H, Yanagi H, Yura T, Negishi M, Mori K
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 1