Brain-Responsive Neurostimulation for the treatment of adults with epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex: A case series
AuthorMcDermott, Danielle S
Mirro, Emily A
Burdette, David E
Johnson, Emily A
Elefant, Felicia M K
Patra, Sanjay E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a genetic disorder primarily characterized by the development of multisystem benign tumors. Epilepsy is the most common neurologic manifestation, affecting 80%-90% of TSC patients. The diffuse structural brain abnormalities and the multifocal nature of epilepsy in TSC pose diagnostic challenges when evaluating patients for epilepsy surgery. Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the safety experience and efficacy outcomes of five adult TSC patients who were treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation (RNS System, NeuroPace, Inc). Results: The average follow-up duration was 20 months. All five patients were responders (≥50% disabling seizure reduction) at last follow-up. The median reduction in disabling seizures was 58% at 1 year and 88% at last follow-up. Three of the five patients experienced some period of seizure freedom ranging from 3 months to over 1 year. Significance: In this small case series, we report the first safety experience and efficacy outcomes in patients with TSC-associated drug-resistant focal epilepsy treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. Epilepsia Open published by Wiley Periodicals LLC on behalf of International League Against Epilepsy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15886
- Treatment of Multi-Focal Epilepsy With Resective Surgery Plus Responsive Neurostimulation (RNS): One Institution's Experience.
- Authors: Tran DK, Tran DC, Mnatsakayan L, Lin J, Hsu F, Vadera S
- Issue date: 2020
- Long-term outcomes of resective epilepsy surgery after invasive presurgical evaluation in children with tuberous sclerosis complex and bilateral multiple lesions.
- Authors: Arya R, Tenney JR, Horn PS, Greiner HM, Holland KD, Leach JL, Gelfand MJ, Rozhkov L, Fujiwara H, Rose DF, Franz DN, Mangano FT
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Real-world experience with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation for focal onset seizures.
- Authors: Razavi B, Rao VR, Lin C, Bujarski KA, Patra SE, Burdette DE, Geller EB, Brown MM, Johnson EA, Drees C, Chang EF, Greenwood JE, Heck CN, Jobst BC, Gwinn RP, Warner NM, Halpern CH
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Real-World Preliminary Experience With Responsive Neurostimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: A Multicenter Retrospective Observational Study.
- Authors: Nagahama Y, Zervos TM, Murata KK, Holman L, Karsonovich T, Parker JJ, Chen JS, Phillips HW, Fajardo M, Nariai H, Hussain SA, Porter BE, Grant GA, Ragheb J, Wang S, O'Neill BR, Alexander AL, Bollo RJ, Fallah A
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 15
- Mood and quality of life in patients treated with brain-responsive neurostimulation: The value of earlier intervention.
- Authors: Loring DW, Jarosiewicz B, Meador KJ, Kanner AM, Skarpaas TL, Morrell MJ
- Issue date: 2021 Apr