Brain-Responsive Neurostimulation for the treatment of adults with epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex: A case series
AuthorMcDermott, Danielle S
Mirro, Emily A
Burdette, David E
Johnson, Emily A
Elefant, Felicia M K
Patra, Sanjay E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a genetic disorder primarily characterized by the development of multisystem benign tumors. Epilepsy is the most common neurologic manifestation, affecting 80%-90% of TSC patients. The diffuse structural brain abnormalities and the multifocal nature of epilepsy in TSC pose diagnostic challenges when evaluating patients for epilepsy surgery. Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the safety experience and efficacy outcomes of five adult TSC patients who were treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation (RNS System, NeuroPace, Inc). Results: The average follow-up duration was 20 months. All five patients were responders (≥50% disabling seizure reduction) at last follow-up. The median reduction in disabling seizures was 58% at 1 year and 88% at last follow-up. Three of the five patients experienced some period of seizure freedom ranging from 3 months to over 1 year. Significance: In this small case series, we report the first safety experience and efficacy outcomes in patients with TSC-associated drug-resistant focal epilepsy treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. Epilepsia Open published by Wiley Periodicals LLC on behalf of International League Against Epilepsy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15886
- Vagus nerve stimulation for drug-resistant epilepsy induced by tuberous sclerosis complex.
- Authors: Tong X, Wang X, Qin L, Zhou J, Guan Y, Teng P, Wang J, Yang Y, Li T, Luan G
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Treatment of Multi-Focal Epilepsy With Resective Surgery Plus Responsive Neurostimulation (RNS): One Institution's Experience.
- Authors: Tran DK, Tran DC, Mnatsakayan L, Lin J, Hsu F, Vadera S
- Issue date: 2020
- Real-World Preliminary Experience With Responsive Neurostimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: A Multicenter Retrospective Observational Study.
- Authors: Nagahama Y, Zervos TM, Murata KK, Holman L, Karsonovich T, Parker JJ, Chen JS, Phillips HW, Fajardo M, Nariai H, Hussain SA, Porter BE, Grant GA, Ragheb J, Wang S, O'Neill BR, Alexander AL, Bollo RJ, Fallah A
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 18
- Epilepsy associated with tuberous sclerosis complex in childhood: Long-term outcome in children after epilepsy surgery and children non-eligible for epilepsy surgery.
- Authors: Stomberg M, Bien CG, Kalbhenn T, Polster T, May TW
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- The role of neurosurgery in the management of tuberous sclerosis complex-associated epilepsy: a systematic review.
- Authors: Nie JZ, Karras CL, Trybula SJ, Texakalidis P, Alden TD
- Issue date: 2022 May