Brain-Responsive Neurostimulation for the treatment of adults with epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex: A case series
AuthorMcDermott, Danielle S
Mirro, Emily A
Burdette, David E
Johnson, Emily A
Elefant, Felicia M K
Patra, Sanjay E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a genetic disorder primarily characterized by the development of multisystem benign tumors. Epilepsy is the most common neurologic manifestation, affecting 80%-90% of TSC patients. The diffuse structural brain abnormalities and the multifocal nature of epilepsy in TSC pose diagnostic challenges when evaluating patients for epilepsy surgery. Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the safety experience and efficacy outcomes of five adult TSC patients who were treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation (RNS System, NeuroPace, Inc). Results: The average follow-up duration was 20 months. All five patients were responders (≥50% disabling seizure reduction) at last follow-up. The median reduction in disabling seizures was 58% at 1 year and 88% at last follow-up. Three of the five patients experienced some period of seizure freedom ranging from 3 months to over 1 year. Significance: In this small case series, we report the first safety experience and efficacy outcomes in patients with TSC-associated drug-resistant focal epilepsy treated with direct brain-responsive neurostimulation.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. Epilepsia Open published by Wiley Periodicals LLC on behalf of International League Against Epilepsy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15886
- Vagus nerve stimulation for drug-resistant epilepsy induced by tuberous sclerosis complex.
- Authors: Tong X, Wang X, Qin L, Zhou J, Guan Y, Teng P, Wang J, Yang Y, Li T, Luan G
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Cannabidiol as a new treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex.
- Authors: Hess EJ, Moody KA, Geffrey AL, Pollack SF, Skirvin LA, Bruno PL, Paolini JL, Thiele EA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Surgery for drug-resistant tuberous sclerosis complex-associated epilepsy: who, when, and what.
- Authors: Specchio N, Pepi C, de Palma L, Moavero R, De Benedictis A, Marras CE, Vigevano F, Curatolo P
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 1
- Long-term outcomes of resective epilepsy surgery after invasive presurgical evaluation in children with tuberous sclerosis complex and bilateral multiple lesions.
- Authors: Arya R, Tenney JR, Horn PS, Greiner HM, Holland KD, Leach JL, Gelfand MJ, Rozhkov L, Fujiwara H, Rose DF, Franz DN, Mangano FT
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Long-term outcomes of ketogenic diet in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex-derived epilepsy.
- Authors: Youn SE, Park S, Kim SH, Lee JS, Kim HD, Kang HC
- Issue date: 2020 Aug