Dual RNA-seq analysis of in vitro infection multiplicity and RNA depletion methods in Chlamydia-infected epithelial cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDual RNA-seq experiments examining viral and bacterial pathogens are increasing, but vary considerably in their experimental designs, such as infection rates and RNA depletion methods. Here, we have applied dual RNA-seq to Chlamydia trachomatis infected epithelial cells to examine transcriptomic responses from both organisms. We compared two time points post infection (1 and 24 h), three multiplicity of infection (MOI) ratios (0.1, 1 and 10) and two RNA depletion methods (rRNA and polyA). Capture of bacterial-specific RNA were greatest when combining rRNA and polyA depletion, and when using a higher MOI. However, under these conditions, host RNA capture was negatively impacted. Although it is tempting to use high infection rates, the implications on host cell survival, the potential reduced length of infection cycles and real world applicability should be considered. This data highlights the delicate nature of balancing host–pathogen RNA capture and will assist future transcriptomic-based studies to achieve more specific and relevant infection-related biological insights. © 2021, The Author(s).
Sequence Analysis, RNA
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15881
- Dual RNA-Seq of Chlamydia and Host Cells.
- Authors: Marsh JW, Hayward RJ, Shetty A, Mahurkar A, Humphrys MS, Myers GSA
- Issue date: 2019
- Early Transcriptional Landscapes of <i>Chlamydia trachomatis</i>-Infected Epithelial Cells at Single Cell Resolution.
- Authors: Hayward RJ, Marsh JW, Humphrys MS, Huston WM, Myers GSA
- Issue date: 2019
- A Laboratory Methodology for Dual RNA-Sequencing of Bacteria and their Host Cells <i>In Vitro</i>.
- Authors: Marsh JW, Humphrys MS, Myers GSA
- Issue date: 2017
- Novel insights into host-pathogen interactions of large yellow croakers ( <i>Larimichthys crocea</i>) and pathogenic bacterium <i>Pseudomonas plecoglossicida</i> using time-resolved dual RNA-seq of infected spleens.
- Authors: Tang Y, Xin G, Zhao LM, Huang LX, Qin YX, Su YQ, Zheng WQ, Wu B, Lin N, Yan QP
- Issue date: 2020 May 18
- Bioinformatic analysis of bacteria and host cell dual RNA-sequencing experiments.
- Authors: Marsh JW, Hayward RJ, Shetty AC, Mahurkar A, Humphrys MS, Myers GSA
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 27