Long-term variability of blood pressure and incidence of heart failure among individuals with Type 2 diabetes
AuthorKaze, Arnaud D
Bertoni, Alain G
Ahima, Rexford S
Echouffo-Tcheugui, Justin B
JournalESC Heart Failure
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Data on the association of long-term variability of blood pressure (BP) with incident heart failure (HF) in individuals with Type 2 diabetes are scarce. We evaluated this association in a large community-based sample of adults with Type 2 diabetes. METHODS AND RESULTS: A total of 4200 participants with Type 2 diabetes who had available BP measurements at four visits (baseline and 12, 24, and 36 months) in the Look AHEAD (Action for Health in Diabetes) study were included. Variability of systolic BP (SBP) and diastolic BP (DBP) across the four visits was assessed using four metrics. Participants free of HF during the first 36 months were followed for HF events. Cox regression was used to generate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for HF. Of the 4200 participants, the average age was 59 years [standard deviation (SD): 6.8]; 58.5% were women. Over a median follow-up of 6.7 years, 129 developed HF events. After adjusting for relevant confounders, the HR of incident HF for the highest vs. lowest quartile of SD of SBP was 1.77 (95% CI 1.01-3.09); the HR for the highest (vs. lowest) quartile of variability independent of the mean of SBP was 1.29 (95% CI 0.78-2.14). The adjusted HR for participants in the highest (compared with the lowest) quartile of SD of DBP was 1.61 (95% CI 1.01-2.59), and the adjusted HR for variability independent of the mean of DBP was 1.65 (95% CI 1.03-2.65). CONCLUSIONS: A greater variability in SBP and DBP is independently associated with greater risk of incident HF in individuals with Type 2 diabetes.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. ESC Heart Failure published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of European Society of Cardiology.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15854
- Variability of adiposity indices and incident heart failure among adults with type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Kaze AD, Erqou S, Santhanam P, Bertoni AG, Ahima RS, Fonarow GC, Echouffo-Tcheugui JB
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 1
- Long-Term Variability of Blood Pressure, Cardiovascular Outcomes, and Mortality: The Look AHEAD Study.
- Authors: Kaze AD, Santhanam P, Erqou S, Yuyun M, Bertoni AG, Ahima RS, Echouffo-Tcheugui JB
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 9
- Blood Pressure Variability and Risk of Heart Failure in ACCORD and the VADT.
- Authors: Nuyujukian DS, Koska J, Bahn G, Reaven PD, Zhou JJ, VADT Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Cardiac autonomic neuropathy and risk of incident heart failure among adults with type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Kaze AD, Yuyun MF, Erqou S, Fonarow GC, Echouffo-Tcheugui JB
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Systolic-diastolic hypertension versus isolated systolic hypertension and incident heart failure in older adults: Insights from the Cardiovascular Health Study.
- Authors: Tsimploulis A, Sheriff HM, Lam PH, Dooley DJ, Anker MS, Papademetriou V, Fletcher RD, Faselis C, Fonarow GC, Deedwania P, White M, Valentova M, Blackman MR, Banach M, Morgan CJ, Alagiakrishnan K, Allman RM, Aronow WS, Anker SD, Ahmed A
- Issue date: 2017 May 15