Nanostructure-specific X-ray tomography reveals myelin levels, integrity and axon orientations in mouse and human nervous tissue
McNab, Jennifer A
Lee, Choong H
Novikov, Dmitry S
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyelin insulates neuronal axons and enables fast signal transmission, constituting a key component of brain development, aging and disease. Yet, myelin-specific imaging of macroscopic samples remains a challenge. Here, we exploit myelin's nanostructural periodicity, and use small-angle X-ray scattering tensor tomography (SAXS-TT) to simultaneously quantify myelin levels, nanostructural integrity and axon orientations in nervous tissue. Proof-of-principle is demonstrated in whole mouse brain, mouse spinal cord and human white and gray matter samples. Outcomes are validated by 2D/3D histology and compared to MRI measurements sensitive to myelin and axon orientations. Specificity to nanostructure is exemplified by concomitantly imaging different myelin types with distinct periodicities. Finally, we illustrate the method's sensitivity towards myelin-related diseases by quantifying myelin alterations in dysmyelinated mouse brain. This non-destructive, stain-free molecular imaging approach enables quantitative studies of myelination within and across samples during development, aging, disease and treatment, and is applicable to other ordered biomolecules or nanostructures.
Keywordsmall-angle X-ray scattering tensor tomography (SAXS-TT)
Nerve Fibers, Myelinated
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15845
- Retrieving neuronal orientations using 3D scanning SAXS and comparison with diffusion MRI.
- Authors: Georgiadis M, Schroeter A, Gao Z, Guizar-Sicairos M, Novikov DS, Fieremans E, Rudin M
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 1
- The raft-associated protein MAL is required for maintenance of proper axon--glia interactions in the central nervous system.
- Authors: Schaeren-Wiemers N, Bonnet A, Erb M, Erne B, Bartsch U, Kern F, Mantei N, Sherman D, Suter U
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 30
- Chronic intermittent ethanol induced axon and myelin degeneration is attenuated by calpain inhibition.
- Authors: Samantaray S, Knaryan VH, Patel KS, Mulholland PJ, Becker HC, Banik NL
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 5
- Abnormal morphology of myelin and axon pathology in murine models of multiple sclerosis.
- Authors: Bando Y, Nomura T, Bochimoto H, Murakami K, Tanaka T, Watanabe T, Yoshida S
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Age-related axonal and myelin changes in the rumpshaker mutation of the Plp gene.
- Authors: Edgar JM, McLaughlin M, Barrie JA, McCulloch MC, Garbern J, Griffiths IR
- Issue date: 2004 Apr