Locoregional Therapies for Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastases: Options Beyond Resection
JournalAmerican Society of Clinical Oncology educational book. American Society of Clinical Oncology. Annual Meeting
PublisherAmerican Society of Clinical Oncology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractColorectal cancer was the third most common malignancy worldwide in 2018, and most patients present with or develop distant metastases. Colorectal liver metastases are most commonly observed because of the vascular drainage of the colon and superior rectum. Current guidelines recommend surgical resection as first-line treatment; however, 80% to 90% of patients with colorectal liver metastases are ineligible for primary resection. For patients with unresectable disease, a multidisciplinary treatment approach is favored, incorporating systemic therapy and a toolbox of local ablative therapies. These treatments either aim at cytoreduction to enable a conversion to surgical resectability or control of disease progression and spread. Each of these treatments carries unique outcomes and risk profiles, thereby contributing to an individualized treatment strategy for patients with colorectal liver metastases. This review summarizes evidence on hepatic artery infusion, stereotactic body radiation therapy, thermal ablation, transarterial chemoembolization with drug-eluding beads, and transarterial radioembolization for treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Results of large-scale prospective and retrospective studies and international guidelines are discussed to provide detailed background on the current and prospective use of local ablative techniques in management of colorectal liver metastases.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15842
- Multidisciplinary approach of colorectal cancer liver metastases.
- Authors: Fiorentini G, Sarti D, Aliberti C, Carandina R, Mambrini A, Guadagni S
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 10
- The role of interventional oncology in the treatment of colorectal cancer liver metastases.
- Authors: Tsitskari M, Filippiadis D, Kostantos C, Palialexis K, Zavridis P, Kelekis N, Brountzos E
- Issue date: 2019 Mar-Apr
- Ablative and catheter-directed therapies for colorectal liver and lung metastases.
- Authors: Petre EN, Sofocleous CT, Solomon SB
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Transarterial (chemo)embolisation versus no intervention or placebo for liver metastases.
- Authors: Swierz MJ, Storman D, Riemsma RP, Wolff R, Mitus JW, Pedziwiatr M, Kleijnen J, Bala MM
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 12
- Multimodal treatment strategies for colorectal liver metastases.
- Authors: Birrer DL, Tschuor C, Reiner C, Fritsch R, Pfammatter T, Garcia Schüler H, Pavic M, De Oliveira M, Petrowsky H, Dutkowski P, Oberkofler C, Clavien PA
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 15