What Industrial Categories Are Workers at Excess Risk of Filing a COVID-19 Workers' Compensation Claim? A Study Conducted in 11 Midwestern US States
AuthorBernacki, Edward J
Hunt, Dan L
Lavin, Robert A
Tsourmas, Nicholas F
Tao, Xuguang Grant
JournalJournal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: Determine the industries with the highest proportion of accepted COVID-19 related workers' compensation (WC) claims. METHODS: Study included 21,336 WC claims (1898 COVID-19 and 19,438 other claims) that were filed between January 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020 from 11 states in the Midwest United States. RESULT: The overwhelming proportion of all COVID-19 related WC claims submitted and accepted were from healthcare workers (83.77%). Healthcare was the only industrial classification that was at significantly higher COVID-19 WC claim submission risk (odds ratio [OR]: 4.00; 95% confidence intervals [CI]: 2.77 to 5.79) controlling for type of employment, sex, age, and presumption of COVID-19 work-relatedness. Within healthcare employment, WC claims submitted by workers in medical laboratories had the highest risk (crude rate ratio of 8.78). CONCLUSION: Healthcare employment is associated with an increased risk of developing COVID-19 infections and submitting a workers' compensation claim.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15840
- The impact of workplace factors on filing of workers' compensation claims among nursing home workers.
- Authors: Qin J, Kurowski A, Gore R, Punnett L
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 29
- Work-related asthma surveillance in Washington State: time trends, industry rates, and workers' compensation costs, 2002-2016.
- Authors: LaSee CR, Reeb-Whitaker CK
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Excess healthcare costs associated with prior workers' compensation activity.
- Authors: Bhattacharya A, Park RM
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Compensation patterns for healthcare workers in British Columbia, Canada.
- Authors: Alamgir H, Siow S, Yu S, Ngan K, Guzman J
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Medical claims paid by workers' compensation insurance among US Medicare beneficiaries, 1999-2016.
- Authors: Kurth L, Casey M, Chin B, Mazurek JM, Schleiff P, Halldin C, Blackley DJ
- Issue date: 2021 Mar