Variation in selective constraints along the Plasmodium life cycle
JournalInfection, Genetics and Evolution : Journal of Molecular Epidemiology and Evolutionary Genetics in Infectious Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasmodium parasites, the cause of malaria, have a complex life cycle, infecting alternatively vertebrate hosts and female Anopheles mosquitoes and undergoing intra- and extra-cellular development in several organs of these hosts. Most of the ~5000 protein-coding genes present in Plasmodium genomes are only expressed at specific life stages, and different genes might therefore be subject to different selective pressures depending on the biological activity of the parasite and its microenvironment at this point in development. Here, we estimate the selective constraints on the protein-coding sequences of all annotated genes of rodent and primate Plasmodium parasites and, using data from scRNA-seq experiments spanning many developmental stages, analyze their variation with regard to when these genes are expressed in the parasite life cycle. Our study reveals extensive variation in selective constraints throughout the parasites' development and highlights stages that are evolving more rapidly than others. These findings provide novel insights into the biology of these parasites and could provide important information to develop better treatment strategies or vaccines against these medically-important organisms. © 2021 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15821
- Adaptive Evolution of RH5 in Ape <i>Plasmodium</i> species of the <i>Laverania</i> Subgenus.
- Authors: Plenderleith LJ, Liu W, MacLean OA, Li Y, Loy DE, Sundararaman SA, Bibollet-Ruche F, Learn GH, Hahn BH, Sharp PM
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 23
- Genomic and transcriptomic evidence for descent from Plasmodium and loss of blood schizogony in Hepatocystis parasites from naturally infected red colobus monkeys.
- Authors: Aunin E, Böhme U, Sanderson T, Simons ND, Goldberg TL, Ting N, Chapman CA, Newbold CI, Berriman M, Reid AJ
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- [Morphology, biology and life-cycle of Plasmodium parasites].
- Authors: Hommel M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The origin of malarial parasites in orangutans.
- Authors: Pacheco MA, Reid MJ, Schillaci MA, Lowenberger CA, Galdikas BM, Jones-Engel L, Escalante AA
- Issue date: 2012
- Studies with induced malarias in Aotus monkeys.
- Authors: Young MD, Baerg DC, Rossan RN
- Issue date: 1976 Dec