A Novel Marker Detection System for People with Visual Impairment Using the Improved Tiny-YOLOv3 Model
JournalComputer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground and objective: Daily activities such as shopping and navigating indoors are challenging problems for people with visual impairment. Researchers tried to find different solutions to help people with visual impairment navigate indoors and outdoors. Methods: We applied deep learning to help visually impaired people navigate indoors using markers. We propose a system to help them detect markers and navigate indoors using an improved Tiny-YOLOv3 model. A dataset was created by collecting marker images from recorded videos and augmenting them using image processing techniques such as rotation transformation, brightness, and blur processing. After training and validating this model, the performance was tested on a testing dataset and on real videos. Results: The contributions of this paper are: (1) We developed a navigation system to help people with visual impairment navigate indoors using markers; (2) We implemented and tested a deep learning model to detect Aruco markers in different challenging situations using Tiny-YOLOv3; (3) We implemented and compared several modified versions of the original model to improve detection accuracy. The modified Tiny-YOLOv3 model achieved an accuracy of 99.31% in challenging conditions and the original model achieved an accuracy of 96.11 %. Conclusion: The training and testing results show that the improved Tiny-YOLOv3 models are superior to the original model.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021. Published by Elsevier B.V.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15675
- Real-Time Plant Leaf Counting Using Deep Object Detection Networks.
- Authors: Buzzy M, Thesma V, Davoodi M, Mohammadpour Velni J
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 3
- JRL-YOLO: A Novel Jump-Join Repetitious Learning Structure for Real-Time Dangerous Object Detection.
- Authors: Zeng Y, Zhang L, Zhao J, Lan J, Li B
- Issue date: 2021
- Malaria parasite detection in thick blood smear microscopic images using modified YOLOV3 and YOLOV4 models.
- Authors: Abdurahman F, Fante KA, Aliy M
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 8
- Pine Cone Detection Using Boundary Equilibrium Generative Adversarial Networks and Improved YOLOv3 Model.
- Authors: Luo Z, Yu H, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 8
- Mixed YOLOv3-LITE: A Lightweight Real-Time Object Detection Method.
- Authors: Zhao H, Zhou Y, Zhang L, Peng Y, Hu X, Peng H, Cai X
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 27