Photodynamic Therapy for Biomodulation and Disinfection in Implant Dentistry: Is It Feasible and Effective?
JournalPhotochemistry and Photobiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDental implants are the most common rehabilitation and restorative treatment used to replace missing teeth. Biofilms adhere to implant surfaces to trigger implant-associated infection and inflammatory response. Clinically, the biofilm induces a local host response with the infiltration of phagocytic immune cells. The pro-inflammatory surroundings set off osteoclastogenesis, which leads to the septic loosening of the implant. The standard of dental care for implant-associated infection relies on a combination of surgery and antimicrobial therapy. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy is a noninvasive and photochemistry-based approach capable of reducing bacterial load and modulating inflammatory responses. In this review, we explore the photobiomodulation and disinfection outcomes promoted by photodynamic therapy for implant infections, highlighting the quality of evidence on the most up-to-date studies, and discuss the major challenges on the advance of these therapeutic strategies. © 2021 American Society for Photobiology
Rights/Terms© 2021 American Society for Photobiology.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15644
- Antimicrobial Photodynamic Therapy (aPDT) as a Disinfection and Biomodulation Approach in Implant Dentistry.
- Authors: de Souza Rastelli AN
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- [Pathophysiology of implant-associated infections: From biofilm to osteolysis and septic loosening].
- Authors: Wagner C, Hänsch GM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Microbial Biofilm Decontamination on Dental Implant Surfaces: A Mini Review.
- Authors: Dhaliwal JS, Abd Rahman NA, Ming LC, Dhaliwal SKS, Knights J, Albuquerque Junior RF
- Issue date: 2021
- Microbiome of peri-implant infections: lessons from conventional, molecular and metagenomic analyses.
- Authors: Charalampakis G, Belibasakis GN
- Issue date: 2015
- Antimicrobial Efficacy of Photodynamic Therapy and Light-Activated Disinfection Against Bacterial Species on Titanium Dental Implants.
- Authors: Azizi B, Budimir A, Mehmeti B, Jakovljević S, Bago I, Gjorgievska E, Gabrić D
- Issue date: 2018 Jul/Aug