Rapid Onset Development of Myocardial Calcifications in the Setting of Renal Failure and Sepsis
JournalRadiology. Cardiothoracic Imaging
PublisherRadiological Society of North America, Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyocardial calcifications can arise following damage to myocardial tissue or in the setting of disturbances in the calcium and phosphorus balance. They are associated with a number of cardiac sequelae, as well as higher mortality. Three cases of rapid-onset myocardial calcifications that developed within the course of 5 to 13 weeks in patients who had a history of sepsis and renal failure while undergoing hemodialysis are described. Baseline imaging from several weeks prior without myocardial calcification are shown for each of the three patients, demonstrating the rapid onset of these calcifications. The clinical significance of these findings is discussed. © RSNA, 2021.
Rights/Terms2021 by the Radiological Society of North America, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15638
- Postinfarction Myocardial Calcifications on Cardiac Computed Tomography: Implications for Mapping and Ablation in Patients With Nontolerated Ventricular Tachycardias.
- Authors: Alyesh DM, Siontis KC, Sharaf Dabbagh G, Yokokawa M, Njeim M, Patel S, Morady F, Bogun F
- Issue date: 2019 May
- [Screening and risk factors of cardiac calcification in hemodialysis: contribution of ultra-fast multi-slice scanner and transthoracic echocardiography].
- Authors: El Amrani M, Maoujoud O, Belarbi M, El Farouki MR, Zajjari Y, Boukili Y, Bouzelmate H, Rbaibi A, El Kharras A, Salahedine T, Asserraji M, Benyahia M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- [Prevalence and functional effect of arteriovenous fistula calcifications, evaluated by spiral CT in chronic haemodialysis patients].
- Authors: Roca-Tey R, Páez R, Rivas A, Samon R, Ibrik O, Giménez I, Viladoms J
- Issue date: 2009
- Treatment of severe metastatic calcification in hemodialysis patients.
- Authors: Yeh SM, Hwang SJ, Chen HC
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- A systematic review of radiological and histological findings of septic myocardial calcifications.
- Authors: Cappelletti S, Piacentino D, Ciallella C
- Issue date: 2020 Aug