Comorbidity Burden and Adverse Outcomes After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement.
AuthorFeldman, Daniel R
Romashko, Mikhail D
Resor, Charles D
Connors, Annie C
Weintraub, Andrew R
Wessler, Benjamin S
JournalJournal of the American Heart Association
PublisherAmerican Heart Association
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) has become the preferred treatment for symptomatic patients with aortic stenosis and elevated procedural risk. Many deaths following TAVR are because of noncardiac causes and comorbid disease burden may be a major determinant of postprocedure outcomes. The prevalence of comorbid conditions and associations with outcomes after TAVR has not been studied. Methods and Results This was a retrospective single-center study of patients treated with TAVR from January 2015 to October 2018. The association between 21 chronic conditions and short- and medium-term outcomes was assessed. A total of 341 patients underwent TAVR and had 1-year follow-up. The mean age was 81.4 (SD 8.0) years with a mean Society of Thoracic Surgeons predicted risk of mortality score of 6.7% (SD 4.8). Two hundred twenty (65%) patients had ≥4 chronic conditions present at the time of TAVR. There was modest correlation between Society of Thoracic Surgeons predicted risk of mortality and comorbid disease burden (r=0.32, P<0.001). After adjusting for Society of Thoracic Surgeons predicted risk of mortality, age, and vascular access, each additional comorbid condition was associated with increased rates of 30-day rehospitalizations (odds ratio, 1.21; 95% CI, 1.02-1.44), a composite of 30-day rehospitalization and 30-day mortality (odds ratio, 1.20; 95% CI, 1.02-1.42), and 1-year mortality (odds ratio, 1.29; 95% CI, 1.05-1.59). Conclusions Comorbid disease burden is associated with worse clinical outcomes in high-risk patients treated with TAVR. The risks associated with comorbid disease burden are not adequately captured by standard risk assessment. A systematic assessment of comorbid conditions may improve risk stratification efforts.
cardiovascular disease risk factors
transcatheter aortic valve implantation
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15619
- Should Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Be Performed in Nonagenarians?: Insights From the STS/ACC TVT Registry.
- Authors: Arsalan M, Szerlip M, Vemulapalli S, Holper EM, Arnold SV, Li Z, DiMaio MJ, Rumsfeld JS, Brown DL, Mack MJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 29
- Sex-related differences in outcomes after transcatheter or surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with severe aortic stenosis: Insights from the PARTNER Trial (Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valve).
- Authors: Williams M, Kodali SK, Hahn RT, Humphries KH, Nkomo VT, Cohen DJ, Douglas PS, Mack M, McAndrew TC, Svensson L, Thourani VH, Tuzcu EM, Weissman NJ, Kirtane AJ, Leon MB
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 22
- Variation in Hospital Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rates Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in the United States: A Report From the Society of Thoracic Surgeons/American College of Cardiology Transcatheter Valve Therapy Registry.
- Authors: O'Brien SM, Cohen DJ, Rumsfeld JS, Brennan JM, Shahian DM, Dai D, Holmes DR, Hakim RB, Thourani VH, Peterson ED, Edwards FH, STS/ACC TVT Registry.
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- The association of transcatheter aortic valve replacement availability and hospital aortic valve replacement volume and mortality in the United States.
- Authors: Brennan JM, Holmes DR, Sherwood MW, Edwards FH, Carroll JD, Grover FL, Tuzcu EM, Thourani V, Brindis RG, Shahian DM, Svensson LG, O'Brien SM, Shewan CM, Hewitt K, Gammie JS, Rumsfeld JS, Peterson ED, Mack MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Geographic Access to Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Centers in the United States: Insights From the Society of Thoracic Surgeons/American College of Cardiology Transcatheter Valve Therapy Registry.
- Authors: Marquis-Gravel G, Stebbins A, Kosinski AS, Cox ML, Harrison JK, Hughes GC, Thourani VH, Gleason TG, Kirtane AJ, Carroll JD, Mack MJ, Vemulapalli S
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1