Choose your path: Divergent basolateral amygdala efferents differentially mediate incentive motivation, flexibility and decision-making
JournalBehavioural Brain Research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo survive in a complex environment, individuals form associations between environmental stimuli and rewards to organize and optimize reward seeking behaviors. The basolateral amygdala (BLA) uses these learned associations to inform decision-making processes. In this review, we describe functional projections between BLA and its cortical and striatal targets that promote learning and motivational processes central to decision-making. Specifically, we compare and contrast divergent projections from the BLA to the orbitofrontal (OFC) and to the nucleus accumbens (NAc) and examine the roles of these pathways in associative learning, value-guided decision-making, choice behaviors, as well as cue and context-driven drug seeking. Finally, we consider how these projections are involved in disorders of motivation, with a focus on Substance Use Disorder.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15611
- Basolateral Amygdala to Orbitofrontal Cortex Projections Enable Cue-Triggered Reward Expectations.
- Authors: Lichtenberg NT, Pennington ZT, Holley SM, Greenfield VY, Cepeda C, Levine MS, Wassum KM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 30
- Basolateral amygdala - nucleus accumbens circuitry regulates optimal cue-guided risk/reward decision making.
- Authors: van Holstein M, MacLeod PE, Floresco SB
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 2
- The Medial Orbitofrontal Cortex-Basolateral Amygdala Circuit Regulates the Influence of Reward Cues on Adaptive Behavior and Choice.
- Authors: Lichtenberg NT, Sepe-Forrest L, Pennington ZT, Lamparelli AC, Greenfield VY, Wassum KM
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 25
- Dissociable roles for the basolateral amygdala and orbitofrontal cortex in decision-making under risk of punishment.
- Authors: Orsini CA, Trotta RT, Bizon JL, Setlow B
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 28
- Amygdala-cortical collaboration in reward learning and decision making.
- Authors: Wassum KM
- Issue date: 2022 Sep 5