The importance of genomic analysis in cracking the coronavirus pandemic
JournalExpert Review of Molecular Diagnostics
PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) pandemic has pushed the scientific community to undertake intense research efforts. Understanding SARS-CoV-2 biology is necessary to discover therapeutic or preventive strategies capable of containing the pandemic. Knowledge of the structural characteristics of the virus genome and proteins is essential to find targets for therapies and immunological interventions.Areas covered: This review covers different areas of expertise, genomic analysis of circulating strains, structural biology, viral mutations, molecular diagnostics, disease, and vaccines. In particular, the review is focused on the molecular approaches and modern clinical strategies used in these fields.Expert opinion: Molecular approaches to SARS-CoV-2 pandemic have been critical to shorten time for new diagnostic, therapeutic and prevention strategies. In this perspective, the entire scientific community is moving in the same direction. Vaccines, together with the development of new drugs to treat the disease, represent the most important strategy to protect human from viral disease and prevent further spread. In this regard, new molecular technologies have been successfully implemented. The use of a novel strategy of communication is suggested for a better diffusion to the broader public of new data and results.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15601
- COVID-19 CG enables SARS-CoV-2 mutation and lineage tracking by locations and dates of interest.
- Authors: Chen AT, Altschuler K, Zhan SH, Chan YA, Deverman BE
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 23
- Genetics and genomics of SARS-CoV-2: A review of the literature with the special focus on genetic diversity and SARS-CoV-2 genome detection.
- Authors: Rahimi A, Mirzazadeh A, Tavakolpour S
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- An Observational Laboratory-Based Assessment of SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Diagnostics in Benin, Western Africa.
- Authors: Sander AL, Yadouleton A, Moreira-Soto A, Tchibozo C, Hounkanrin G, Badou Y, Fischer C, Krause N, Akogbeto P, F de Oliveira Filho E, Dossou A, Brünink S, Drosten C, Aïssi MAJ, Harouna Djingarey M, Hounkpatin B, Nagel M, Drexler JF
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 13
- The 2020 race towards SARS-CoV-2 specific vaccines.
- Authors: Karpiński TM, Ożarowski M, Seremak-Mrozikiewicz A, Wolski H, Wlodkowic D
- Issue date: 2021
- A Gapless, Unambiguous RNA Metagenome-Assembled Genome Sequence of a Unique SARS-CoV-2 Variant Encoding Spike S813I and ORF1a A859V Substitutions.
- Authors: Soliman MS, AbdelFattah M, Aman SMN, Ibrahim LM, Aziz RK
- Issue date: 2021 Feb