Nicotine e-vaping and cardiovascular consequences: a case series and literature review
JournalEuropean Heart Journal. Case reports
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Cardiovascular toxicity as a consequence of nicotine from conventional tobacco cigarette smoking is well documented. However, little is known about the cardiovascular consequences of nicotine e-vaping. We review the literature and report a case series of three cases of major adverse cardiovascular clinical effects post nicotine e-vaping. Case summary: Three patients with known peripheral arterial disease who switched from heavy cigarette smoking consumption to a high-intensity dose of nicotine e-vaping all developed further arterial complications within 6-30 months. Discussion: With the recent epidemic of e-vaping in young individuals and the national outbreak of e-vaping use-associated lung injury (EVALI), the dangers of e-vaping are now coming to light. The pulmonary effects are now well described, and this paper highlights three new cases of cardiovascular toxicity associated with e-vaping. The potential role of nicotine e-vaping and the risk of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) will also be discussed.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the European Society of Cardiology.
Electronic nicotine delivery systems
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15581
- Review of Health Consequences of Electronic Cigarettes and the Outbreak of Electronic Cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use-Associated Lung Injury.
- Authors: Cao DJ, Aldy K, Hsu S, McGetrick M, Verbeck G, De Silva I, Feng SY
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- E-cigarettes and cigarettes worsen peripheral and central hemodynamics as well as arterial stiffness: A randomized, double-blinded pilot study.
- Authors: Franzen KF, Willig J, Cayo Talavera S, Meusel M, Sayk F, Reppel M, Dalhoff K, Mortensen K, Droemann D
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- A review of toxic effects of electronic cigarettes/vaping in adolescents and young adults.
- Authors: Overbeek DL, Kass AP, Chiel LE, Boyer EW, Casey AMH
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Differential effects of tobacco cigarettes and electronic cigarettes on endothelial function in healthy young people.
- Authors: Haptonstall KP, Choroomi Y, Moheimani R, Nguyen K, Tran E, Lakhani K, Ruedisueli I, Gornbein J, Middlekauff HR
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- Update: Characteristics of Patients in a National Outbreak of E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use-Associated Lung Injuries - United States, October 2019.
- Authors: Moritz ED, Zapata LB, Lekiachvili A, Glidden E, Annor FB, Werner AK, Ussery EN, Hughes MM, Kimball A, DeSisto CL, Kenemer B, Shamout M, Garcia MC, Reagan-Steiner S, Petersen EE, Koumans EH, Ritchey MD, King BA, Jones CM, Briss PA, Delaney L, Patel A, Polen KD, Sives K, Meaney-Delman D, Chatham-Stephens K, Lung Injury Response Epidemiology/Surveillance Group., Lung Injury Response Epidemiology/Surveillance Task Force.
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1