Effectiveness and Safety of Biodegradable Calcium Sulfate Antibiotic Beads as Adjuvant Therapy in Vascular Graft Infections
AuthorDoub, James B
Bork, Jacqueline T
Karwowski, John K
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis is a retrospective cohort study evaluating the safety and effectiveness of biodegradable calcium sulfate antibiotic beads in vascular graft infections compared with standard of care. No differences in acute kidney injury or hypercalcemia were observed between the cohorts. Recurrence of infection did not occur in the 13-patient bead cohort compared with 14 patients who had recurrence in the 45-patient nonbead cohort with a number needed to treat of 4.0. © 2021 The Author(s).
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Keywordacute kidney injury
local antibiotic therapy
vascular graft infections
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15577
- Careful interpretation of the wound status is needed with use of antibiotic impregnated biodegradable synthetic pure calcium sulfate beads: Series of 39 cases.
- Authors: Menon A, Soman R, Rodrigues C, Phadke S, Agashe VM
- Issue date: 2018
- Bio-absorbable antibiotic impregnated beads for the treatment of prosthetic vascular graft infections.
- Authors: Genovese EA, Avgerinos ED, Baril DT, Makaroun MS, Chaer RA
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Evaluating effectiveness of antibiotic polymethylmethacrylate beads in achieving wound sterilization and graft preservation in patients with early and late vascular graft infections.
- Authors: Poi MJ, Pisimisis G, Barshes NR, Darouiche RO, Lin PH, Kougias P, Bechara CF
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Antibiotic-loaded polymethylmethacrylate beads for the treatment of extracavitary vascular surgical site infections.
- Authors: Stone PA, Mousa AY, Hass SM, Dearing DD, Campbell JR 2nd, Parker A, Thompson S, AbuRahma AF
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Poor Outcomes of Irrigation and Debridement in Acute Periprosthetic Joint Infection With Antibiotic-Impregnated Calcium Sulfate Beads.
- Authors: Flierl MA, Culp BM, Okroj KT, Springer BD, Levine BR, Della Valle CJ
- Issue date: 2017 Aug