VLA4-Targeted Nanoparticles Hijack Cell Adhesion-Mediated Drug Resistance to Target Refractory Myeloma Cells and Prolong Survival
Scott, Michael J
Allen, John S
Fiala, Mark A
Schmieder-Atteberry, Anne H
DiPersio, John F
Lanza, Gregory M
JournalClinical Cancer Research
PublisherAmerican Association for Cancer Research Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn multiple myeloma, drug-resistant cells underlie relapse or progression following chemotherapy. Cell adhesion-mediated drug resistance (CAM-DR) is an established mechanism used by myeloma cells (MMC) to survive chemotherapy and its markers are upregulated in residual disease. The integrin very late antigen 4 (VLA4; α4β1) is a key mediator of CAM-DR and its expression affects drug sensitivity of MMCs. Rather than trying to inhibit its function, here, we hypothesized that upregulation of VLA4 by resistant MMCs could be exploited for targeted delivery of drugs, which would improve safety and efficacy of treatments.
Rights/Terms©2020 American Association for Cancer Research.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15574
- Ablation of VLA4 in multiple myeloma cells redirects tumor spread and prolongs survival.
- Authors: Hathi D, Chanswangphuwana C, Cho N, Fontana F, Maji D, Ritchey J, O'Neal J, Ghai A, Duncan K, Akers WJ, Fiala M, Vij R, DiPersio JF, Rettig M, Shokeen M
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 7
- Small Molecule MYC Inhibitor Conjugated to Integrin-Targeted Nanoparticles Extends Survival in a Mouse Model of Disseminated Multiple Myeloma.
- Authors: Soodgupta D, Pan D, Cui G, Senpan A, Yang X, Lu L, Weilbaecher KN, Prochownik EV, Lanza GM, Tomasson MH
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Upregulated expression and function of the α4β1 integrin in multiple myeloma cells resistant to bortezomib.
- Authors: Sevilla-Movilla S, Arellano-Sánchez N, Martínez-Moreno M, Gajate C, Sánchez-Vencells A, Valcárcel LV, Agirre X, Valeri A, Martínez-López J, Prósper F, Mollinedo F, Teixidó J
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Cell adhesion mediated drug resistance (CAM-DR): role of integrins and resistance to apoptosis in human myeloma cell lines.
- Authors: Damiano JS, Cress AE, Hazlehurst LA, Shtil AA, Dalton WS
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 1
- Rationally engineered nanoparticles target multiple myeloma cells, overcome cell-adhesion-mediated drug resistance, and show enhanced efficacy in vivo.
- Authors: Kiziltepe T, Ashley JD, Stefanick JF, Qi YM, Alves NJ, Handlogten MW, Suckow MA, Navari RM, Bilgicer B
- Issue date: 2012 Apr