Effect of Age and Frailty on the Efficacy and Tolerability of Once-Weekly Selinexor, Bortezomib, and Dexamethasone in Previously Treated Multiple Myeloma
AuthorAuner, Holger W
Dimopoulos, Meletios A
Dolai, Tuphan Kanti
Sinha, Dinesh Kumar
Venner, Christopher P
Stevens, Don Ambrose
Anderson, Larry D
Bahlis, Nizar J
Mateos, Maria Victoria
Kauffman, Michael G
Richardson, Paul G
JournalAmerican Journal of Hematology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElderly and frail patients with multiple myeloma (MM) are more vulnerable to the toxicity of combination therapies, often resulting in treatment modifications and suboptimal outcomes. The phase 3 BOSTON study showed that once-weekly selinexor and bortezomib with low-dose dexamethasone (XVd) improved PFS and ORR compared with standard twice-weekly bortezomib and moderate-dose dexamethasone (Vd) in patients with previously treated MM. This is a retrospective subgroup analysis of the multicenter, prospective, randomized BOSTON trial. Post hoc analyses were performed to compare XVd versus Vd safety and efficacy according to age and frailty status (<65 and ≥65 years, nonfrail and frail). Patients ≥65 years with XVd had higher ORR (OR 1.77, p =.024), ≥VGPR (OR, 1.68, p =.027), PFS (HR 0.55, p =.002), and improved OS (HR 0.63, p =.030), compared with Vd. In frail patients, XVd was associated with a trend towards better PFS (HR 0.69, p =.08) and OS (HR 0.62, p =.062). Significant improvements were also observed in patients <65 (ORR and TTNT) and nonfrail patients (PFS, ORR, ≥VGPR, and TTNT). Patients treated with XVd had a lower incidence of grade ≥ 2 peripheral neuropathy in ≥65 year-old (22% vs. 37%; p =.0060) and frail patients (15% vs. 44%; p =.0002). Grade ≥3 TEAEs were not observed more often in older compared to younger patients, nor in frail compared to nonfrail patients. XVd is safe and effective in patients <65 and ≥65 and in nonfrail and frail patients with previously treated MM. © 2021 The Authors. American Journal of Hematology published by Wiley Periodicals LLC.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15536
- Effect of prior treatments on selinexor, bortezomib, and dexamethasone in previously treated multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Mateos MV, Gavriatopoulou M, Facon T, Auner HW, Leleu X, Hájek R, Dimopoulos MA, Delimpasi S, Simonova M, Špička I, Pour L, Kriachok I, Pylypenko H, Doronin V, Usenko G, Benjamin R, Dolai TK, Sinha DK, Venner CP, Garg M, Stevens DA, Quach H, Jagannath S, Moreau P, Levy M, Badros AZ, Anderson LD Jr, Bahlis NJ, Cavo M, Chai Y, Jeha J, Arazy M, Shah J, Shacham S, Kauffman MG, Richardson PG, Grosicki S
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 13
- Once-per-week selinexor, bortezomib, and dexamethasone versus twice-per-week bortezomib and dexamethasone in patients with multiple myeloma (BOSTON): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Grosicki S, Simonova M, Spicka I, Pour L, Kriachok I, Gavriatopoulou M, Pylypenko H, Auner HW, Leleu X, Doronin V, Usenko G, Bahlis NJ, Hajek R, Benjamin R, Dolai TK, Sinha DK, Venner CP, Garg M, Gironella M, Jurczyszyn A, Robak P, Galli M, Wallington-Beddoe C, Radinoff A, Salogub G, Stevens DA, Basu S, Liberati AM, Quach H, Goranova-Marinova VS, Bila J, Katodritou E, Oliynyk H, Korenkova S, Kumar J, Jagannath S, Moreau P, Levy M, White D, Gatt ME, Facon T, Mateos MV, Cavo M, Reece D, Anderson LD Jr, Saint-Martin JR, Jeha J, Joshi AA, Chai Y, Li L, Peddagali V, Arazy M, Shah J, Shacham S, Kauffman MG, Dimopoulos MA, Richardson PG, Delimpasi S
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 14
- Efficacy and safety of carfilzomib-based regimens in frail patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Facon T, Niesvizky R, Mateos MV, Siegel D, Rosenbaum C, Bringhen S, Weisel K, Ho PJ, Ludwig H, Kumar S, Wang K, Obreja M, Yang Z, Klippel Z, Mezzi K, Goldrick A, Tekle C, Dimopoulos MA
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 10
- Once-Weekly 1.6 mg/m<sup>2</sup> Bortezomib BCD Regimen in Elderly Patients with Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma Who are Unfit for Standard Dose Chemotherapy.
- Authors: Tang Y, Yu YH, Yao YY, Zou LF, Dou HJ, Wang L, Zhu Q
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Clinical impact of frailty on treatment outcomes of elderly patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide plus dexamethasone.
- Authors: Lee HS, Kim K, Lee JJ, Yoon SS, Bang SM, Kim JS, Eom HS, Yoon DH, Lee Y, Shin HJ, Park Y, Jo JC, Lee WS, Do YR, Mun YC, Lee MH, Kim HJ, Kim SH, Kim MK, Lim SN, Park SK, Yi JH, Lee JH, Min CK, Korean Multiple Myeloma Working Party (KMMWP).
- Issue date: 2021 Jan