Kinetics of SARS-CoV-2 antibody responses pre-COVID-19 and post-COVID-19 convalescent plasma transfusion in patients with severe respiratory failure: an observational case-control study
AuthorKlein, Matthew N
Wang, Elizabeth Wenqian
Ward, Matthew D
Baddley, John W
Bloch, Evan M
Mullins, Kristin E
Fontaine, Magali J
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAims: While the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic may be contained through vaccination, transfusion of convalescent plasma (CCP) from individuals who recovered from COVID-19 (CCP) is considered an alternative treatment. We investigate if CCP transfusion in patients with severe respiratory failure increases plasma titres of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies and improves clinical outcomes. Methods: Patients with COVID-19 (n=34) were consented for CCP transfusion and serial blood draws pretransfusion and post-transfusion. Plasma SARS-CoV-2 antireceptor binding domain (RBD) IgG and IgM titres were measured by ELISA serially, and compared with serial plasma titre levels from control patients (n=68). The primary outcome was survival at 30 days, and secondary outcomes were length of ventilator and/or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) support, length of stay (LOS) in the hospital and in the intensive care unit (ICU). Outcomes were compared with matched control patients (n=34). Kinetics of antibodies and clinical outcomes were compared using LOess regression and ORs, respectively. Results: Prior to CCP transfusion, 74% of patients were anti-RBD seropositive for IgG (median 1:3200), and 81% were anti-RBD IgM seropositive (median 1:320), while 16% were seronegative. The kinetics of antibody titres in CCP recipients were similar to controls. CCP recipients presented with similar survival, duration on ventilatory and/or ECMO support, as well as ICU and hospital LOS compared with controls. Conclusions: CCP transfusion did not increase the kinetics of SARS-CoV2 antibodies and did not result in improved clinical outcomes in patients with COVID-19 with severe respiratory failure, suggesting that CCP may not be indicated in this category of patients.
Rights/Terms© Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2021. Re-use permitted under CC BY-NC. No commercial re-use. See rights and permissions. Published by BMJ.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15533
- Use of Outpatient-Derived COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma in COVID-19 Patients Before Seroconversion.
- Authors: Wirz OF, Röltgen K, Stevens BA, Pandey S, Sahoo MK, Tolentino L, Verghese M, Nguyen K, Hunter M, Snow TT, Singh AR, Blish CA, Cochran JR, Zehnder JL, Nadeau KC, Pinsky BA, Pham TD, Boyd SD
- Issue date: 2021
- Preservation of anti-SARS-CoV-2 neutralising antibodies in convalescent plasma after pathogen reduction with methylene blue and visible light.
- Authors: Larrea L, Castro E, Navarro L, Vera B, Francés-Gómez C, Sánchez-Sendra B, Giménez Á, Castelló E, Collado M, Vayá MJ, Mirabet V, Callao V, Ortiz-de-Salazar MI, Roig R, Geller R, Arbona C
- Issue date: 2022 May
- Convalescent plasma for adults with acute COVID-19 respiratory illness (CONCOR-1): study protocol for an international, multicentre, randomized, open-label trial.
- Authors: Bégin P, Callum J, Heddle NM, Cook R, Zeller MP, Tinmouth A, Fergusson DA, Cushing MM, Glesby MJ, Chassé M, Devine DV, Robitalle N, Bazin R, Shehata N, Finzi A, McGeer A, Scales DC, Schwartz L, Turgeon AF, Zarychanski R, Daneman N, Carl R, Amorim L, Gabe C, Ellis M, Sachais BS, Loftsgard KC, Jamula E, Carruthers J, Duncan J, Lucier K, Li N, Liu Y, Armali C, Kron A, Modi D, Auclair MC, Cerro S, Avram M, Arnold DM
- Issue date: 2021 May 4
- Treatment of 5 Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 With Convalescent Plasma.
- Authors: Shen C, Wang Z, Zhao F, Yang Y, Li J, Yuan J, Wang F, Li D, Yang M, Xing L, Wei J, Xiao H, Yang Y, Qu J, Qing L, Chen L, Xu Z, Peng L, Li Y, Zheng H, Chen F, Huang K, Jiang Y, Liu D, Zhang Z, Liu Y, Liu L
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 28
- Clinical predictors of donor antibody titre and correlation with recipient antibody response in a COVID-19 convalescent plasma clinical trial.
- Authors: Madariaga MLL, Guthmiller JJ, Schrantz S, Jansen MO, Christensen C, Kumar M, Prochaska M, Wool G, Durkin-Celauro A, Oh WH, Trockman L, Vigneswaran J, Keskey R, Shaw DG, Dugan H, Zheng NY, Cobb M, Utset H, Wang J, Stovicek O, Bethel C, Matushek S, Giurcanu M, Beavis KG, di Sabato D, Meltzer D, Ferguson MK, Kress JP, Shanmugarajah K, Matthews JB, Fung JF, Wilson PC, Alverdy JC, Donington JS
- Issue date: 2021 Apr