Proudfoot, James A
Martin, Eden R
Dubinsky, Richard M
Schellenberg, Gerard D
JournalFrontiers in Neurology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral genetic and environmental factors have been reported in progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP), although none were identified as a definitive cause. We aimed to explore potential gene-environment interactions in PSP. Two hundred and ninety two PSP cases and 292 controls matched for age, sex, and race from the ENGENE-PSP were analyzed to determine the association between PSP and minor alleles of 5 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in 4 genes (MAPT, MOBP, EIF2AK3, and STX6), which were previously associated with PSP risk. Interactions between these SNPs and environmental factors, including previously reported occupational and agricultural risk factors for PSP, were assessed for PSP odds and age of symptom onset. Minor alleles of MAPTrs242557 and EIF2AK3rs7571971 were individually associated with increased odds; MAPTrs8070723 minor alleles were associated with lower PSP odds. There were several gene-environment interactions for PSP odds and age of symptom onset, however, they did not remain significant after FDR-correction. Larger scale studies are required to determine potential interactions.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Litvan, Proudfoot, Martin, Standaert, Riley, Hall, Marras, Bayram, Dubinsky, Bordelon, Reich, Shprecher, Kluger, Cunningham, Schellenberg and Jankovic.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15531
- Gene expression, methylation and neuropathology correlations at progressive supranuclear palsy risk loci.
- Authors: Allen M, Burgess JD, Ballard T, Serie D, Wang X, Younkin CS, Sun Z, Kouri N, Baheti S, Wang C, Carrasquillo MM, Nguyen T, Lincoln S, Malphrus K, Murray M, Golde TE, Price ND, Younkin SG, Schellenberg GD, Asmann Y, Ordog T, Crook J, Dickson D, Ertekin-Taner N
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Genome-wide survey of copy number variants finds MAPT duplications in progressive supranuclear palsy.
- Authors: Chen Z, Chen JA, Shatunov A, Jones AR, Kravitz SN, Huang AY, Lawrence L, Lowe JK, Lewis CM, Payan CAM, Lieb W, Franke A, Deloukas P, Amouyel P, Tzourio C, Dartigues JF, NNIPPS and BBBIPPS Study Groups., Ludolph A, Bensimon G, Leigh PN, Bronstein JM, Coppola G, Geschwind DH, Al-Chalabi A
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- An exploratory study on STX6, MOBP, MAPT, and EIF2AK3 and late-onset Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Liu QY, Yu JT, Miao D, Ma XY, Wang HF, Wang W, Tan L
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Genetics of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.
- Authors: Im SY, Kim YE, Kim YJ
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Statin Use.
- Authors: Bayram E, Marras C, Standaert DG, Kluger BM, Bordelon YM, Shprecher DR, Litvan I, ENGENE-PSP Consortium.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul