SARS-CoV-2 shifting transmission dynamics and hidden reservoirs potentially limit efficacy of public health interventions in Italy
Rife Magalis, Brittany
de Oliveira, Tulio
Alcantara, Luiz Carlos Junior
Dean, Natalie E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated SARS-CoV-2 transmission dynamics in Italy, one of the countries hit hardest by the pandemic, using phylodynamic analysis of viral genetic and epidemiological data. We observed the co-circulation of multiple SARS-CoV-2 lineages over time, which were linked to multiple importations and characterized by large transmission clusters concomitant with a high number of infections. Subsequent implementation of a three-phase nationwide lockdown strategy greatly reduced infection numbers and hospitalizations. Yet we present evidence of sustained viral spread among sporadic clusters acting as "hidden reservoirs" during summer 2020. Mathematical modelling shows that increased mobility among residents eventually catalyzed the coalescence of such clusters, thus driving up the number of infections and initiating a new epidemic wave. Our results suggest that the efficacy of public health interventions is, ultimately, limited by the size and structure of epidemic reservoirs, which may warrant prioritization during vaccine deployment.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15528
- Genomic Epidemiology of the First Wave of SARS-CoV-2 in Italy.
- Authors: Di Giallonardo F, Duchene S, Puglia I, Curini V, Profeta F, Cammà C, Marcacci M, Calistri P, Holmes EC, Lorusso A
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 14
- Genomic epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 reveals multiple lineages and early spread of SARS-CoV-2 infections in Lombardy, Italy.
- Authors: Alteri C, Cento V, Piralla A, Costabile V, Tallarita M, Colagrossi L, Renica S, Giardina F, Novazzi F, Gaiarsa S, Matarazzo E, Antonello M, Vismara C, Fumagalli R, Epis OM, Puoti M, Perno CF, Baldanti F
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 19
- COVID-19 CG enables SARS-CoV-2 mutation and lineage tracking by locations and dates of interest.
- Authors: Chen AT, Altschuler K, Zhan SH, Chan YA, Deverman BE
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 23
- A Comprehensive Molecular Epidemiological Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Cyprus from April 2020 to January 2021: Evidence of a Highly Polyphyletic and Evolving Epidemic.
- Authors: Chrysostomou AC, Vrancken B, Koumbaris G, Themistokleous G, Aristokleous A, Masia C, Eleftheriou C, Iοannou C, Stylianou DC, Ioannides M, Petrou P, Georgiou V, Hatziyianni A, Lemey P, Vandamme AM, Patsalis PP, Kostrikis LG
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 9
- SARS Coronavirus-2 variant tracing within the first Coronavirus Disease 19 clusters in northern Germany.
- Authors: Pfefferle S, Günther T, Kobbe R, Czech-Sioli M, Nörz D, Santer R, Oh J, Kluge S, Oestereich L, Peldschus K, Indenbirken D, Huang J, Grundhoff A, Aepfelbacher M, Knobloch JK, Lütgehetmann M, Fischer N
- Issue date: 2021 Jan