Age-dependent changes in nuclear-cytoplasmic signaling in skeletal muscle
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMechanical forces are conducted through myofibers and into nuclei to regulate muscle development, hypertrophy, and homeostasis. We hypothesized that nuclei in aged muscle have changes in the nuclear envelope and associated proteins, resulting in altered markers of mechano-signaling. Methods: YAP/TAZ protein expression and gene expression of downstream targets, Ankrd1 and Cyr61, were evaluated as mechanotransduction indicators. Expression of proteins in the nuclear lamina and the nuclear pore complex (NPC) were assessed, and nuclear morphology was characterized by electron microscopy. Nuclear envelope permeability was assessed by uptake of 70 kDa fluorescent dextran. Results: Nuclear changes with aging included a relative decrease of lamin β1 and Nup107, and a relative increase in Nup93, which could underlie the aberrant nuclear morphology, increased nuclear leakiness, and elevated YAP/TAZ signaling. Conclusion: Aged muscles have hyperactive nuclear-cytoplasmic signaling, indicative of altered nuclear mechanotransduction. These data highlight a possible role for the nucleus in aging-related aberrant mechano-sensing. © 2021 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15495
- Differential YAP nuclear signaling in healthy and dystrophic skeletal muscle.
- Authors: Iyer SR, Shah SB, Ward CW, Stains JP, Spangenburg EE, Folker ES, Lovering RM
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- Nuclear Mechanotransduction in Skeletal Muscle.
- Authors: Jabre S, Hleihel W, Coirault C
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 4
- Nuclear envelope wrinkling predicts mesenchymal progenitor cell mechano-response in 2D and 3D microenvironments.
- Authors: Cosgrove BD, Loebel C, Driscoll TP, Tsinman TK, Dai EN, Heo SJ, Dyment NA, Burdick JA, Mauck RL
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Control of cellular responses to mechanical cues through YAP/TAZ regulation.
- Authors: Dasgupta I, McCollum D
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 15
- Suppression of myopathic lamin mutations by muscle-specific activation of AMPK and modulation of downstream signaling.
- Authors: Chandran S, Suggs JA, Wang BJ, Han A, Bhide S, Cryderman DE, Moore SA, Bernstein SI, Wallrath LL, Melkani GC
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1