Knowledge of Hemoglobin A1c and Glycemic Control in an Urban Population
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAim: Our study aims to assess the knowledge of hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) and glycemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) at an urban academic institution. Methods: This was a retrospective cross-sectional study that included a survey of 100 adult patients with DM. Our patient cohort was divided into those with recent HbA1c < 8.0% and those with HbA1c ≥ 8.0% for subgroup analysis. Results: The majority (71%) of patients correctly defined HbA1c and half were aware of their HbA1c target, but they were unable to correlate the correct average blood glucose for an HbA1c level of 7%. Worse control, defined as an HbA1c level of ≥ 8%, was associated with co-morbid disease, but was not associated with understanding HbA1c definition, target or socioeconomic disparities. Perceived glycemic control was congruent with the actual control in 46% of our patients. Ninety percent of those with HbA1c ≥ 8% perceived their control to be better than it actually was, and 97% of those with HbA1c < 8% perceived their control worse than it actually was (P < 0.00001). Conclusion: Although most patients knew the definition of HbA1c, they were unable to correlate HbA1c with average blood sugar. There remain opportunities to increase education for this vulnerable population with co-morbid disease on the use of the HbA1c disease marker as an education tool.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021, Memon et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15479
- High hemoglobin A<sub>1c</sub> associated with increased adverse limb events in peripheral arterial disease patients undergoing revascularization.
- Authors: Arya S, Binney ZO, Khakharia A, Long CA, Brewster LP, Wilson PW, Jordan WD Jr, Duwayri Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Stress-Induced Hyperglycemia in Diabetes: A Cross-Sectional Analysis to Explore the Definition Based on the Trauma Registry Data.
- Authors: Rau CS, Wu SC, Chen YC, Chien PC, Hsieh HY, Kuo PJ, Hsieh CH
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 7
- Parental perception and factors associated with glycemic control in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Frindik JP, Williams JP, Johnson RL, Dykman RA
- Issue date: 2002 Mar-Apr
- Glycemic and non-glycemic targets in younger and older North Indian subjects with type 2 diabetes in a Tertiary care hospital: A 10 year's retrospective data analysis.
- Authors: Ahmad J, Zubair M, Malik N, D Z, Raghav A
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Mar
- Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, hemoglobin A1c and fasting blood glucose levels in adults with diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Alkhatatbeh MJ, Abdul-Razzak KK
- Issue date: 2018 Dec