Telestroke Across the Continuum of Care: Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic
AuthorGuzik, Amy K
Chapman, Sherita N
Al Kasab, Sami
Martini, Sharyl R
Meyer, Brett C
Demaerschalk, Bart M
Wozniak, Marcella A
Southerland, Andrew M
JournalJournal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile use of telemedicine to guide emergent treatment of ischemic stroke is well established, the COVID-19 pandemic motivated the rapid expansion of care via telemedicine to provide consistent care while reducing patient and provider exposure and preserving personal protective equipment. Temporary changes in re-imbursement, inclusion of home office and patient home environments, and increased access to telehealth technologies by patients, health care staff and health care facilities were key to provide an environment for creative and consistent high-quality stroke care. The continuum of care via telestroke has broadened to include prehospital, inter-facility and intra-facility hospital-based services, stroke telerehabilitation, and ambulatory telestroke. However, disparities in technology access remain a challenge. Preservation of reimbursement and the reduction of regulatory burden that was initiated during the public health emergency will be necessary to maintain expanded patient access to the full complement of telestroke services. Here we outline many of these initiatives and discuss potential opportunities for optimal use of technology in stroke care through and beyond the pandemic.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
KeywordCOVID-19 (4), Pandemic (5)
SARS CoV-2 (6)
Stroke care (9)
Stroke delivery (10)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15469
- A Stroke Care Model at an Academic, Comprehensive Stroke Center During the 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Meyer D, Meyer BC, Rapp KS, Modir R, Agrawal K, Hailey L, Mortin M, Lane R, Ranasinghe T, Sorace B, von Kleist TD, Perrinez E, Nabulsi M, Hemmen T
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- What Was the Change in Telehealth Usage and Proportion of No-show Visits for an Orthopaedic Trauma Clinic During the COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Authors: Siow MY, Walker JT, Britt E, Kozy JP, Zanzucchi A, Girard PJ, Schwartz AK, Kent WT
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Telestroke in the Time of COVID-19: The Mayo Clinic Experience.
- Authors: Huang JF, Greenway MRF, Nasr DM, Chukwudelunzu FE Sr, Demaerschalk BM, O'Carroll CB, Nord CA, Pahl EA, Barrett KM, Williams LN
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Stroke Care in the First Affiliated Hospital of Chengdu Medical College during the COVID-19 Outbreak.
- Authors: Zhang LL, Guo YJ, Lin YP, Hu RZ, Yu JP, Yang J, Wang X
- Issue date: 2020
- American Telemedicine Association: Telestroke Guidelines.
- Authors: Demaerschalk BM, Berg J, Chong BW, Gross H, Nystrom K, Adeoye O, Schwamm L, Wechsler L, Whitchurch S
- Issue date: 2017 May