ChIP-BIT2: a software tool to detect weak binding events using a Bayesian integration approach
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground ChIP-seq combines chromatin immunoprecipitation assays with sequencing and identifies genome-wide binding sites for DNA binding proteins. While many binding sites have strong ChIP-seq ‘peak’ observations and are well captured, there are still regions bound by proteins weakly, with a relatively low ChIP-seq signal enrichment. These weak binding sites, especially those at promoters and enhancers, are functionally important because they also regulate nearby gene expression. Yet, it remains a challenge to accurately identify weak binding sites in ChIP-seq data due to the ambiguity in differentiating these weak binding sites from the amplified background DNAs. Results ChIP-BIT2 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/chipbitc/) is a software package for ChIP-seq peak detection. ChIP-BIT2 employs a mixture model integrating protein and control ChIP-seq data and predicts strong or weak protein binding sites at promoters, enhancers, or other genomic locations. For binding sites at gene promoters, ChIP-BIT2 simultaneously predicts their target genes. ChIP-BIT2 has been validated on benchmark regions and tested using large-scale ENCODE ChIP-seq data, demonstrating its high accuracy and wide applicability. Conclusion ChIP-BIT2 is an efficient ChIP-seq peak caller. It provides a better lens to examine weak binding sites and can refine or extend the existing binding site collection, providing additional regulatory regions for decoding the mechanism of gene expression regulation.
SponsorsNational Cancer Institute
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15443
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- ChIP-BIT: Bayesian inference of target genes using a novel joint probabilistic model of ChIP-seq profiles.
- Authors: Chen X, Jung JG, Shajahan-Haq AN, Clarke R, Shih IeM, Wang Y, Magnani L, Wang TL, Xuan J
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 20
- ChIPpeakAnno: a Bioconductor package to annotate ChIP-seq and ChIP-chip data.
- Authors: Zhu LJ, Gazin C, Lawson ND, Pagès H, Lin SM, Lapointe DS, Green MR
- Issue date: 2010 May 11
- Using CisGenome to analyze ChIP-chip and ChIP-seq data.
- Authors: Ji H, Jiang H, Ma W, Wong WH
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Inferring direct DNA binding from ChIP-seq.
- Authors: Bailey TL, Machanick P
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Integrative analysis of ChIP-chip and ChIP-seq dataset.
- Authors: Zhu LJ
- Issue date: 2013