Local Protein Translation and RNA Processing of Synaptic Proteins in Autism Spectrum Disorder
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAutism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a heritable neurodevelopmental condition associated with impairments in social interaction, communication and repetitive behaviors. While the underlying disease mechanisms remain to be fully elucidated, dysfunction of neuronal plasticity and local translation control have emerged as key points of interest. Translation of mRNAs for critical synaptic proteins are negatively regulated by Fragile X mental retardation protein (FMRP), which is lost in the most common single-gene disorder associated with ASD. Numerous studies have shown that mRNA transport, RNA metabolism, and translation of synaptic proteins are important for neuronal health, synaptic plasticity, and learning and memory. Accordingly, dysfunction of these mechanisms may contribute to the abnormal brain function observed in individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In this review, we summarize recent studies about local translation and mRNA processing of synaptic proteins and discuss how perturbations of these processes may be related to the pathophysiology of ASD.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15431
- Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein and Dendritic Local Translation of the Alpha Subunit of the Calcium/Calmodulin-Dependent Kinase II Messenger RNA Are Required for the Structural Plasticity Underlying Olfactory Learning.
- Authors: Daroles L, Gribaudo S, Doulazmi M, Scotto-Lomassese S, Dubacq C, Mandairon N, Greer CA, Didier A, Trembleau A, Caillé I
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 15
- Perturbed proteostasis in autism spectrum disorders.
- Authors: Louros SR, Osterweil EK
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein positively regulates PKA anchor Rugose and PKA activity to control actin assembly in learning/memory circuitry.
- Authors: Sears JC, Choi WJ, Broadie K
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Tracking the Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein in a Highly Ordered Neuronal RiboNucleoParticles Population: A Link between Stalled Polyribosomes and RNA Granules.
- Authors: El Fatimy R, Davidovic L, Tremblay S, Jaglin X, Dury A, Robert C, De Koninck P, Khandjian EW
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- FMRP stalls ribosomal translocation on mRNAs linked to synaptic function and autism.
- Authors: Darnell JC, Van Driesche SJ, Zhang C, Hung KY, Mele A, Fraser CE, Stone EF, Chen C, Fak JJ, Chi SW, Licatalosi DD, Richter JD, Darnell RB
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 22