Associations between frontal lobe structure, parent-reported obstructive sleep disordered breathing and childhood behavior in the ABCD dataset
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParents frequently report behavioral problems among children who snore. Our understanding of the relationship between symptoms of obstructive sleep disordered breathing (oSDB) and childhood behavioral problems associated with brain structural alterations is limited. Here, we examine the associations between oSDB symptoms, behavioral measures such as inattention, and brain morphometry in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) study comprising 10,140 preadolescents. We observe that parent-reported symptoms of oSDB are associated with composite and domain-specific problem behaviors measured by parent responses to the Child Behavior Checklist. Alterations of brain structure demonstrating the strongest negative associations with oSDB symptoms are within the frontal lobe. The relationships between oSDB symptoms and behavioral measures are mediated by significantly smaller volumes of multiple frontal lobe regions. These results provide population-level evidence for an association between regional structural alterations in cortical gray matter and problem behaviors reported in children with oSDB.
KeywordAdolescent Brain Cognitive Development study (ABCD)
obstructive sleep-disordered breathing
Child Behavior Disorders
Sleep Disorders, Intrinsic
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15427
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0
- Stakeholder-Engaged Measure Development for Pediatric Obstructive Sleep-Disordered Breathing: The Obstructive Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Adenotonsillectomy Knowledge Scale for Parents.
- Authors: Links AR, Tunkel DE, Boss EF
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 1
- Assessment of Parental Choice Predisposition for Tonsillectomy in Children.
- Authors: Leu GR, Links AR, Ryan MA, Walsh JM, Tunkel DE, Beach MC, Boss EF
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 1
- Characteristics associated with caregiver willingness to consider tonsillectomy for a child's obstructive sleep disordered breathing: Findings from a survey of families in an urban primary care network.
- Authors: Cooper JN, Koppera S, Bliss AJ, Lind MN
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Diagnosis of pediatric obstructive sleep disordered breathing: beyond the gold standard.
- Authors: Jambhekar S, Carroll JL
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Tonsillectomy versus tonsillotomy for obstructive sleep-disordered breathing in children.
- Authors: Blackshaw H, Springford LR, Zhang LY, Wang B, Venekamp RP, Schilder AG
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 29