Brain ethanol metabolism by astrocytic ALDH2 drives the behavioural effects of ethanol intoxication
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlcohol is among the most widely used psychoactive substances worldwide. Ethanol metabolites such as acetate, thought to be primarily the result of ethanol breakdown by hepatic aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), contribute to alcohol's behavioural effects and alcoholism. Here, we show that ALDH2 is expressed in astrocytes in the mouse cerebellum and that ethanol metabolism by astrocytic ALDH2 mediates behavioural effects associated with ethanol intoxication. We show that ALDH2 is expressed in astrocytes in specific brain regions and that astrocytic, but not hepatocytic, ALDH2 is required to produce ethanol-derived acetate in the mouse cerebellum. Cerebellar astrocytic ALDH2 mediates low-dose ethanol-induced elevation of GABA levels, enhancement of tonic inhibition and impairment of balance and coordination skills. Thus, astrocytic ALDH2 controls the production, cellular and behavioural effects of alcohol metabolites in a brain-region-specific manner. Our data indicate that astrocytic ALDH2 is an important, but previously under-recognized, target in the brain to alter alcohol pharmacokinetics and potentially treat alcohol use disorder. Copyright 2021, This is a U.S. government work and not under copyright protection in the U.S.; foreign copyright protection may apply.
Aldehyde Dehydrogenase, Mitochondrial
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15349
- Targeting liver aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 prevents heavy but not moderate alcohol drinking.
- Authors: Guillot A, Ren T, Jourdan T, Pawlosky RJ, Han E, Kim SJ, Zhang L, Koob GF, Gao B
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 17
- Spinal astrocyte aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 mediates ethanol metabolism and analgesia in mice.
- Authors: Jin S, Cinar R, Hu X, Lin Y, Luo G, Lovinger DM, Zhang Y, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 29
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 activity and aldehydic load contribute to neuroinflammation and Alzheimer's disease related pathology.
- Authors: Joshi AU, Van Wassenhove LD, Logas KR, Minhas PS, Andreasson KI, Weinberg KI, Chen CH, Mochly-Rosen D
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 12
- Activation of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) by ALDA-1 reduces both the acquisition and maintenance of ethanol intake in rats: A dual mechanism?
- Authors: Rivera-Meza M, Vásquez D, Quintanilla ME, Lagos D, Rojas B, Herrera-Marschitz M, Israel Y
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- ALDH2 mediates the dose-response protection of chronic ethanol against endothelial senescence through SIRT1/p53 pathway.
- Authors: Xue L, Yang F, Han Z, Cui S, Dai S, Xu F, Zhang C, Wang X, Pang J, Pan C, Chen Y
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 12