Rapid spread and control of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria in covid-19 patient care units
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
PublisherCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe rapid spread of multidrug-resistant gramnegative bacteria among patients in dedicated coronavirus disease care units in a hospital in Maryland, USA, during May-June 2020. Critical illness, high antibiotic use, double occupancy of single rooms, and modified infection prevention practices were key contributing factors. Surveillance culturing aided in outbreak recognition and control. Copyright 2021 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the German Federal Ministry of Public Health through Robert Koch Institute (grant nos. 1369-382/435 and 1362-924/980) and the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung through the Research Network Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (grant nos. FKZ 01KI1721A and FKZ 01KI1721C).
Drug Resistance, Multiple, Bacterial
Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections
Intensive Care Units
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15313
- Clinical characteristics and risk factors for the isolation of multi-drug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria from critically ill patients with COVID-19.
- Authors: Baiou A, Elbuzidi AA, Bakdach D, Zaqout A, Alarbi KM, Bintaher AA, Ali MMB, Elarabi AM, Ali GAM, Daghfal J, Almaslamani MA, Ibrahim ASS, Alkhal A, Omrani AS
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Antibiotic Trends Amid Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Negative Infections in Intensive Care Units.
- Authors: Fowler LH, Lee S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Increasing prevalence of gastrointestinal colonization with ceftazidime-resistant gram-negative bacteria among intensive care unit patients.
- Authors: Thom KA, Johnson JA, Strauss SM, Furuno JP, Perencevich EN, Harris AD
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Negative Bacilli: A Retrospective Study of Trends in a Tertiary Healthcare Unit.
- Authors: Muntean D, Horhat FG, Bădițoiu L, Dumitrașcu V, Bagiu IC, Horhat DI, Coșniță DA, Krasta A, Dugăeşescu D, Licker M
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 26
- The growing threat of multidrug-resistant Gram-negative infections in patients with hematologic malignancies.
- Authors: Baker TM, Satlin MJ
- Issue date: 2016 Oct