Fabrication of centimeter-sized 3D constructs with patterned endothelial cells through assembly of cell-laden microbeads as a potential bone graft
PublisherActa Materialia Inc
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractModular tissue engineering is a promising biofabrication strategy to create engineered bone grafts in a bottom-up manner, in which cell-laden micro-modules are prepared as basic building blocks to assemble macroscopic tissues via different integrating mechanisms. In this study, we prepared collagen microbeads loaded with human bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) using a microfluidic approach. The cell-laden microbeads were characterized for size change, cell activity, osteogenesis, as well as their self-assembly properties to generate centimeter-sized constructs. Moreover, using the cell-laden beads as a supporting medium, induced pluripotent stem cell-derived endothelial cells (iPSC-EC) were patterned inside bead aggregates through extrusion-based 3D printing. This fabrication approach that combines modular tissue engineering and supports 3D printing has the potential to create 3D engineered bone grafts with a pre-existing, customized vasculature. Copyright 2020
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering/National Institutes of Health (NIBIB/NIH) Center for Engineering Complex Tissues (P41 EB023833).
Bone tissue engineering
Induced pluripotent stem cell
Mesenchymal stem cell
Modular tissue engineering
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15299
- A modular approach to the engineering of a centimeter-sized bone tissue construct with human amniotic mesenchymal stem cells-laden microcarriers.
- Authors: Chen M, Wang X, Ye Z, Zhang Y, Zhou Y, Tan WS
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Fabrication of viable centimeter-sized 3D tissue constructs with microchannel conduits for improved tissue properties through assembly of cell-laden microbeads.
- Authors: Luo H, Chen M, Wang X, Mei Y, Ye Z, Zhou Y, Tan WS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Automated 3D bioassembly of micro-tissues for biofabrication of hybrid tissue engineered constructs.
- Authors: Mekhileri NV, Lim KS, Brown GCJ, Mutreja I, Schon BS, Hooper GJ, Woodfield TBF
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 12
- Engineered Liver Tissue Culture in an <i>In Vitro</i> Tubular Perfusion System.
- Authors: Yang G, Mahadik B, Mollot T, Pinsky J, Jones A, Robinson A, Najafali D, Rivkin D, Katsnelson J, Piard C, Fisher JP
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Vascularization in Engineered Tissue Construct by Assembly of Cellular Patterned Micromodules and Degradable Microspheres.
- Authors: Zhong M, Wei D, Yang Y, Sun J, Chen X, Guo L, Wei Q, Wan Y, Fan H, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1