Recurrent syncope due to concurrent cardiac sarcoidosis and large-vessel vasculitis
JournalAmerican Journal of Case Reports
PublisherInternational Scientific Information, Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cardiac sarcoidosis and large-vessel vasculitis are both rare diseases with a variety of presenting symptoms. Both can result in high morbidity and mortality if not diagnosed early. While they are each relatively uncommon on their own, there have been a few reports suggesting they may be more related than previously thought. This case report suggests that the 2 diseases can become symptomatic concurrently, complicating diagnosis. CASE REPORT: A 68-year-old male patient was diagnosed concurrently with cardiac sarcoidosis and vasculitis after several episodes of syncope thought to be due to arrhythmia. The patient was treated with high-dose corticosteroids, and repeat imaging showed decreased inflammatory changes in the cardiac tissue and large blood vessels. CONCLUSIONS: Prior case reports have described vasculitis and sarcoidosis in the same patient; however, these patients usually had a long history of known sarcoidosis involving several organ systems. This case suggests that physicians should be alert to more limited forms of the disease in a patient with cardiac myopathy of unknown origin with new arrythmia. More research is also needed to determine how granulomatous disease and vasculitis are related to each other. Copyright Am J Case Rep, 2021;.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15271
- Acute kidney injury with granulomatous interstitial nephritis and vasculitis revealing sarcoidosis.
- Authors: Harzallah A, Kaaroud H, Boubaker K, Barbouch S, Goucha R, Hamida FB, Abdallah TB
- Issue date: 2017 Sep-Oct
- Sarcoidosis and systemic vasculitis.
- Authors: Fernandes SR, Singsen BH, Hoffman GS
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- [Large-vessel granulomatous vasculitis during the course of sarcoidosis: Takayasu's arteritis?].
- Authors: Vaurs C, Ammoury A, Cordel N, Lamant L, Chaufour X, Paul C
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Primary Cardiac Sarcoidosis with Syncope and Refractory Atrial Arrhythmia: A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Thangam M, Nathan S, Kar B, Petrovic M, Patel M, Loyalka P, Buja LM, Gregoric ID
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- SEVERE PANUVEITIS, RETINAL VASCULITIS, AND OPTIC DISK GRANULOMA SECONDARY TO SARCOIDOSIS.
- Authors: Patterson M, Bergstrom CS, Clark WL, Grossniklaus HE, Payne JF
- Issue date: 2016 Fall