JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe evolution of the eukaryotic cell from the primal endosymbiotic event involved a complex series of adaptations driven primarily by energy optimization. Transfer of genes from endosymbiont to host and concomitant expansion (by infolding) of the endosymbiont’s chemiosmotic membrane greatly increased output of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and placed selective pressure on the membrane at the host–endosymbiont interface to sustain the energy advantage. It is hypothesized that critical functions at this interface (metabolite exchange, polypeptide import, barrier integrity to proteins and DNA) were managed by a precursor β-barrel protein (“pβB”) from which the voltage-dependent anion-selective channel (VDAC) descended. VDAC’s role as hub for disparate and increasingly complex processes suggests an adaptability that likely springs from a feature inherited from pβB, retained because of important advantages conferred. It is proposed that this property is the remarkable structural flexibility evidenced in VDAC’s gating mechanism, a possible origin of which is discussed. Copyright 2021 by the author. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
SponsorsFunding: Research by the author relevant to this paper was funded by several research grants from the National Science Foundation and by National Institutes of Health grants P41RR01219 and U01HLI16321.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15228
- VDAC regulation of mitochondrial calcium flux: From channel biophysics to disease.
- Authors: Rosencrans WM, Rajendran M, Bezrukov SM, Rostovtseva TK
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Regulation of Single-Channel Conductance of Voltage-Dependent Anion Channel by Mercuric Chloride in a Planar Lipid Bilayer.
- Authors: Malik C, Ghosh S
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Sequence diversity of tubulin isotypes in regulation of the mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel.
- Authors: Rostovtseva TK, Gurnev PA, Hoogerheide DP, Rovini A, Sirajuddin M, Bezrukov SM
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 13
- [The VDAC channel as the mitochondria function regulator].
- Authors: Kmita H, Stobienia O
- Issue date: 2006
- Evolutionary selection of a 19-stranded mitochondrial β-barrel scaffold bears structural and functional significance.
- Authors: Srivastava SR, Mahalakshmi R
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 23