Small molecules inhibitors of the heterogeneous ribonuclear protein A18 (hnRNP A18): a regulator of protein translation and an immune checkpoint
JournalNucleic acids research
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have identified chemical probes that simultaneously inhibit cancer cell progression and an immune checkpoint. Using the computational Site Identification by Ligand Competitive Saturation (SILCS) technology, structural biology and cell-based assays, we identify small molecules that directly and selectively bind to the RNA Recognition Motif (RRM) of hnRNP A18, a regulator of protein translation in cancer cells. hnRNP A18 recognizes a specific RNA signature motif in the 3'UTR of transcripts associated with cancer cell progression (Trx, VEGF, RPA) and, as shown here, a tumor immune checkpoint (CTLA-4). Post-transcriptional regulation of immune checkpoints is a potential therapeutic strategy that remains to be exploited. The probes target hnRNP A18 RRM in vitro and in cells as evaluated by cellular target engagement. As single agents, the probes specifically disrupt hnRNP A18-RNA interactions, downregulate Trx and CTLA-4 protein levels and inhibit proliferation of several cancer cell lines without affecting the viability of normal epithelial cells. These first-in-class chemical probes will greatly facilitate the elucidation of the underexplored biological function of RNA Binding Proteins (RBPs) in cancer cells, including their effects on proliferation and immune checkpoint activation. Copyright The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Nucleic Acids Research.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15222
- Heterogenous ribonucleoprotein A18 (hnRNP A18) promotes tumor growth by increasing protein translation of selected transcripts in cancer cells.
- Authors: Chang ET, Parekh PR, Yang Q, Nguyen DM, Carrier F
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Crystal structure of the human heterogeneous ribonucleoprotein A18 RNA-recognition motif.
- Authors: Coburn K, Melville Z, Aligholizadeh E, Roth BM, Varney KM, Carrier F, Pozharski E, Weber DJ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 1
- Post-transcriptional regulation of thioredoxin by the stress inducible heterogenous ribonucleoprotein A18.
- Authors: Yang R, Weber DJ, Carrier F
- Issue date: 2006
- The UV-inducible RNA-binding protein A18 (A18 hnRNP) plays a protective role in the genotoxic stress response.
- Authors: Yang C, Carrier F
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 14
- Functional significance for a heterogenous ribonucleoprotein A18 signature RNA motif in the 3'-untranslated region of ataxia telangiectasia mutated and Rad3-related (ATR) transcript.
- Authors: Yang R, Zhan M, Nalabothula NR, Yang Q, Indig FE, Carrier F
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 19